LNA for more bands

lupal

Joined Apr 1, 2020
Hello all,
I am designing an antenna circuit for GNSS. There are two bands as shown in the image. U use passive antenna with this amplifier. The receiver requires 20-50dB amplification, but I have around 13 or 14dB respectively with the components I chose including antenna gain and passive losses. The components are designed for the specific GNSS bands.
The total gain is bellow 20dB and I am looking for a way to achieve more. LNA3 is proposed but I could not find an appropriate LNA type for this. A type similar to other LNAs would be fine.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an exact type for this role? I expect optimal gain 10-20dB and frequency band approx. between 1100 - 1700MHz.
Would it make sense to add two LNAs in series for each band instead of using LNA3 as in the schematic?
1619511903643.png

lupal

Joined Apr 1, 2020
Thank you very much, Janis59. Interesting reading. Howevre, I would prefer to use integrated solutions instead of discrete components solution - there van more thing that may be done wrong.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
In one way You are semi-right, BUT IC solutioons in this field are all too new and too "green", thus, in bold different like all other electronics, here the discretes allow to harvest far better parameters (if done with the brain).

lupal

Joined Apr 1, 2020
Hi, I agree that you might achieve more, but your comment about the brain is very relevant here and I feel much more unsure with the discretes.