LM358 , LM1458 and TL082

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
First, i didn’t read the suggested experiments, too long.

They have differences. The testing would be interesting as it may show the differences between them. Check their datasheets the older ones were better in providing schematics.

LM358 and 1458 are similar but have different output stage. TL082 has FET input stage with class AB output. You can learn about opamps using any, I once asked a professor why they use the 741 to teach opamps and the explanation I got was that it makes it easier to show their weaknesses using older designs rather than new ones that are getting closer and closer to perfection which would require prohibitively expensive gear to see.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

I am about to implement the experiments suggested in this website https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-6/integrator/
using LM1458 and TL082. However i have enough LM358 op-amps. Are there major differences between LM358 and LM1458/TL082 ? Could i use LM358 for learning about op-amps?

Thanks
It is always best to check the datasheets. In theory there should be no problem with the substitution, provided you read the datasheet and observe the appropriate limitations. Pay attention to the maximum supply voltages for example. Either one can be used with a single supply or a bi-polar supply. Know what those limits are. Pay attention to the slew rate, before asking the amplifier to do something it is not capable of. Pay attention to the output voltage swing. How close can the output get to the positive rail. How close can the output get to the negative rail, Get the datasheets and ask question about what the various parameters of the device mean. Post here if you run in to things you don't understand.

BC547

Joined May 22, 2018
It is always best to check the datasheets. In theory there should be no problem with the substitution, provided you read the datasheet and observe the appropriate limitations. Pay attention to the maximum supply voltages for example. Either one can be used with a single supply or a bi-polar supply. Know what those limits are. Pay attention to the slew rate, before asking the amplifier to do something it is not capable of. Pay attention to the output voltage swing. How close can the output get to the positive rail. How close can the output get to the negative rail, Get the datasheets and ask question about what the various parameters of the device mean. Post here if you run in to things you don't understand.
Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Could i use LM358 for learning about op-amps?
LM358 is my go to opamp unless I need something better.

Unlike most traditional (i.e. not rail to rail), it's input voltage range includes the negative supply (which was designed to be ground). You can operate it with split supplies, but you need to have a minimum current from the output to the negative supply because the output stage was designed for a single supply.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The 358 is robust and reliable, but old and slow. It has the lowest gain-bandwidth product of the three, so it will not work well in applications such as a microphone preamp, where you need both high gain and wide bandwidth.

ak

BC547

Joined May 22, 2018

Unlike most traditional (i.e. not rail to rail), it's input voltage range includes the negative supply (which was designed to be ground). You can operate it with split supplies, but you need to have a minimum current from the output to the negative supply because the output stage was designed for a single supply.
I am learning op amp and trying to understand its function by doing experiments (my original post) described. I don't know whether 358 can be substituted here, to get started....

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-6/integrator/
It's the experiment in this site.
I could paste the circuit if you need
LM358 and LM1458 are similar in characteristics. When operating with bipolar supplies, which will be assumed with LM1458, you need to have a resistor to the negative supply for the LM358.
clipimage.jpg

EDIT: The author wanted to use an opamp with high input bias currents to show you something. LM358 has a lower input bias current than the LM1458.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019

The lousy old LM358 dual opamp (the LM324 is a quad) was designed to use a very low supply current therefore the output transistors are not biased properly which produces severe crossover distortion. The distortion is prevented when a resistor is added from the output to the positive or negative (ground) supply but then the output is class-A with a high current all the time.
The frequency response and slew rate are poor and noise is too high for audio.

The LM1458 is a dual lousy old 741 opamp that should be buried.

The TL082 is a dual, the TL081 is a single and the TL084 is a quad opamp all with a 7V minimum supply.
They have a low current high input impedance Jfet input. TL07x opamps are the same but are selected for low noise. They have an unusual problem (Output Phase Inversion) where the output voltage suddenly goes as high as it can when an input voltage gets within a few volts from its negative supply. Millions of TL07x opamps are used in audio products.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
He's doing a lab from this site that shows integration and differentiation using a wiper pot as the input. It should be fine for the purpose.