lin. actuator 1 button extend/retract

MILLDEN

Joined Jan 17, 2018
What i need to accomplish:
A single momentary button press starts the extension of the linear actuator, the actuator hits its built in limit switch (end of stroke) then begins to retract, it hits bottom of stroke limit switch and stops moving (actuator does this on its own). Below is the current circuit i built using automotive style relays. i tapped into the existing "end of stroke" limit switch on my linear actuator and attached it to the relay. This works. The problem is I intend to make many of these machines and would prefer to purchase a PCB or arduino or something like that so i do not need to build circuits for every single one. There has to be an existing solution for this right!?
Actuator for single push button start 1 stroke.jpg

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The circuit is quite simple, so you are not likely to find anything off-the-shelf.
It would seem to be overkill to use an Arduino.
You could put the relay and it's associated connections on a simple custom PCB with terminals if you want to minimize wiring.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There has to be an existing solution for this right!?
View attachment 143929
The one problem with automotive relays is they usually require a wire connector, stake-on etc.
You could either look at getting a PCB board made from the likes of Seeed or DirtyPCB, cost is around $1.00/board.
Then use PCCT relays and solder in, any wire termination to the board could be small PCCT screw terminals.
Another alternative is to make them up using Vero Strip Board.
I would also think a small enclosure is needed?
Max.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I agree with Max, use standard PCB mount 12V relays unless you need the ruggedness of automotive relays.

Design a simple PCB, have it made in China. It's super cheap and amazingly fast. Less than a week from start to delivered. Be prepared to make at least one rev of the board - feces occurs. Also, try to stick to multiple sourced relay footprints so if there are supply disruptions you can substitute parts.If this is for a business, consider hiring an expert to do the design. It will pay off down stream.

ON the enclosure front - I would start with that and work backwards. It's always harder to find a box after making your board. Select enclosure and openings for your buttons/switches/whatever. Then design the board to fit that.

MILLDEN

Joined Jan 17, 2018
Thank you for your help everyone!
If i have to i will learn to design the pcb myself, but if it's reasonably priced to have someone with more experience design it that would be great. Does anyone have suggestions for design services i can look into?