Linear actuator with 2 separate push button

Lawa44

Joined Feb 1, 2017
Hi guys, sorry for the simple explanation but electronics is not something I do on daily basis. However, on a project I'm currently working on it involves a linear actuator which I'm struggling to wire.

The linear actuator needs to run on two separate momentary push button so that one extends the actuator and one retracts it.

I can do the wiring without a relay. But this would lead to a short circuit if both buttons are pressed at the same time.

I appreciate it if someone could help on how to wire this with relays too.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a circuit for a dual relay flip-flop that uses one P.B. if of any use?
Does the actuator have internal limits that you are using?
Max.

Lawa44

Joined Feb 1, 2017
Any information is useful since I'm new to this field and only have basic knowledge.
And yes it does have limits

Lawa44

Joined Feb 1, 2017
Think I found a solution from another thread abit similar to yours . Am I correct to say this won't short if both buttons are pressed at the same time?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Think I found a solution from another thread abit similar to yours . Am I correct to say this won't short if both buttons are pressed at the same time?
A common way of solving it is by using each P.B. with both a N.O. and a N.C. contact to interlock each side.
Or use an extra N.C. contact on the relays.
Max.

Last edited:

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
It's possible to do it without using relays/contactors but you may as well because doing it without will require something more complex.

If you insist on not using relays, I advise that you use industrial/modular push buttons with NO and NC contacts. This way, you can interlock the buttons which will give you the redundancy/functional safety you require. It's also helpful to know if the solenoid/actuator has any electrical limit sensors, if it does then it's worth incorporating those into your interlock.

This isn't ideal but it gives you an idea of the logic and shows how it can be done without using relays or an imbedded system.
Changeover.jpg