Lighting with the lowest requirment

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
If you want real amounts of power, try buying a cheap geared DC motor on amazon. It will require more force to spin it but it would spin the actual motor faster. Faster speeds means more voltage and more power. Here is a good one on amazon. There are plenty of others if you want a cheaper one or more power or whatever.
https://www.amazon.com/Nextrox-Mini...d=1525218886&sr=8-19&keywords=geared+dc+motor
And it says 12V, but that is if you want to use it as a motor. If you want to generate power, you will get a lower voltage.

Jensen Leung

Joined Apr 29, 2018
If you want real amounts of power, try buying a cheap geared DC motor on amazon. It will require more force to spin it but it would spin the actual motor faster. Faster speeds means more voltage and more power. Here is a good one on amazon. There are plenty of others if you want a cheaper one or more power or whatever.
https://www.amazon.com/Nextrox-Mini...d=1525218886&sr=8-19&keywords=geared+dc+motor
And it says 12V, but that is if you want to use it as a motor. If you want to generate power, you will get a lower voltage.
What if I use a joule thief or an energy harvest IC?

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
It does not matter what circuit you use. You get a certain amount of watts. You can do with it what you like. Step up the voltage, current, or both for a brief pulse. But you cannot continuously get more power in than power out, and you need more power to do serious stuff. So please consider a motor like that instead.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
If you cannot get the power out of the wires that spin the motor, see if you can find a small motor designed for higher volts. That will give you more output voltage at the same speed. But as -live wire- says above, it will not give you more power. But, starting from a higher voltage will make it easier to drive stuff. An LED may be able to be driven from it directly if you can get 2V out.
I have successfully run an LED on a small wind mill driving a 24V stepper motor. It had to have a 3 phase rectifier as it is AC out, and that is more loss, but it may be worth while looking into. See if you can find a small 12V or 24V DC motor first.
I doubt the wires will be strong enough to spin a geared motor but give it a try. If so, you could just try a rubber band belt and pulleys to gear the motor you have up a bit.

Jensen Leung

Joined Apr 29, 2018
If you cannot get the power out of the wires that spin the motor, see if you can find a small motor designed for higher volts. That will give you more output voltage at the same speed. But as -live wire- says above, it will not give you more power. But, starting from a higher voltage will make it easier to drive stuff. An LED may be able to be driven from it directly if you can get 2V out.
I have successfully run an LED on a small wind mill driving a 24V stepper motor. It had to have a 3 phase rectifier as it is AC out, and that is more loss, but it may be worth while looking into. See if you can find a small 12V or 24V DC motor first.
I doubt the wires will be strong enough to spin a geared motor but give it a try. If so, you could just try a rubber band belt and pulleys to gear the motor you have up a bit.
Thank you very much!

Jensen Leung

Joined Apr 29, 2018
It does not matter what circuit you use. You get a certain amount of watts. You can do with it what you like. Step up the voltage, current, or both for a brief pulse. But you cannot continuously get more power in than power out, and you need more power to do serious stuff. So please consider a motor like that instead.
OK I will consider motor with a higher power

DECELL

Joined Apr 23, 2018
You might want to try a much smaller motor, it will need less torque to get it spinning (less rotational inertia) and a smaller top pulley could then be used. You only need a few mW to light the LED so a small motor make sense. A small motor will have a higher internal resistance and you could wire the LED straight to it without any kind of current limiting reisitor.
If you look at small motor specifications you'll often see its output torque quoted in gm_cm or oz_inch. This applies in reverse, the lower the quoted torque the easier it is to spin up to the quoted terminal voltage.
So Low torque, higher voltage spec. I'd be looking for a tiny 6V.

Jensen Leung

Joined Apr 29, 2018
You might want to try a much smaller motor, it will need less torque to get it spinning (less rotational inertia) and a smaller top pulley could then be used. You only need a few mW to light the LED so a small motor make sense. A small motor will have a higher internal resistance and you could wire the LED straight to it without any kind of current limiting reisitor.
If you look at small motor specifications you'll often see its output torque quoted in gm_cm or oz_inch. This applies in reverse, the lower the quoted torque the easier it is to spin up to the quoted terminal voltage.
So Low torque, higher voltage spec. I'd be looking for a tiny 6V.
The conclusion is that i should use a smaller motor and pulley right? How about using joule thief?

DECELL

Joined Apr 23, 2018
thats my opinion- it easier to get a small motor to spin faster with a small pulley, faster= more volts.
- a joule thief, I cant say I've ever tried one soI cant comment.