Lighting with the lowest requirment

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Jensen Leung, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Jensen Leung

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I need to light a light with a lowest amount of current and voltage. What kind of light should I use and can anyone suggest the lowest requirement lighting to me? The requirement of the Red LED is not low enough for me. Someone suggest me to find a similar light on the 'on' light on arduino uno shown as below. What is the name and the specification of the light in the picture and how much voltage or current is required to light up the 'on' light? Thank you
    [​IMG]

2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    LED ( light emitting diode) they come in different colours and sizes, you drive them with a Series resistor or fixed current source.

You can make it Dimmer by changing the resistor in it's path.

3. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    A lot will depend on what you mean by "light a light". Is this just for an indicator or for illumination? More info really is needed.
    As Dogydave says above, an LED will probably be the way too but what colour and what is your power supply and for what use are all questions that need answering.

-live wire- likes this.
  4. -live wire-

Dec 22, 2017
    You can also possibly use some kind of florecent thing that gets covered by some mechanical thing. This would only be low current if you don't turn it on/off a lot. Even if it needs 100 mA for the motor, it would only need it for maybe 1/2 a second to mechanically switch the state. Then it would need no current. When I say florescent, I mean like one of those things that glows when exposed to light and can glow for a long time afterwards. Maybe also have light being reflected into it when it is covered so it will still continue to glow.

But otherwise LEDs are the way to go. You can probably have indicator LEDs that only need 10s of uAs, or bright (directional) LEDs that only need 1-2mAs.

Just wondering, why do you want it to be so low power?

5. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    It is because the electricity source is a nitinol engine with pulley and motor which can only generate a maximum voltage of 0.7 V. For this situation, what type of application can be used? Is it possible to increase the voltage and current to charge a mobile phone? Otherwise, I just want to light a light bulb with the smallest voltage to complete the project. Thank you very much!

6. tranzz4md

Apr 10, 2015
    You can get a filament type lamp for nearly any voltage, but you can make a different voltage from what you've got as well.

The Arduino has LEDs.

7. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    Can you post pictures? A nitro engine driving a motor to generate 0.7V sounds odd to me. Are you sure it is only 0.7V? How are you measuring it. I cannot quite figure out why you only get 0.7V out unless you are turning the motor quite slowly. What is the motor?

-live wire- likes this.
  8. DECELL

Apr 23, 2018
    I have just searched the web for nitinol engine, but i think it would be more polite not to presume we know that you are thinking. State an end goal and load a picture of your idea. So 0.7V and how many mA of output current have you got to play with? You can do a fair bit with 0.7V. Eg, A BQ25504 from TI will start up on 0.3V or less. Check out "energy harvesting ICs"

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You can get more voltage (at the cost of current) or you can more current (at the cost of voltage) but you can't do both at the same time.. Voltage x Current = Wattage (or Wattage/Voltage = Current.. or Wattage/Current = Voltage)
    Have you done any testing to see what your source is capable of in terms of wattage? (or how much current can it provide at this .7V?)

With 10W you can use 1V @10Amps or 10V @1 Amp,etc.... (ignoring conversion losses for discussion sake)

-live wire- likes this.
  10. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    This sounds like an engineering school contest using a muscle wire spring to drive the motor as a generator and see who can produce a light output the longest.

-live wire- likes this.
  11. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    yay i am doing a nitinol engine! What is BQ25504 from TI? Thank you!

12. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    The voltage and current is about 0.6V and 0.2A

13. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    I want to light a LED bulb first. If this goal is achieved, i want to use the nitinol engine to charge a phone

14. -live wire-

Dec 22, 2017
    How did you measure the current?

15. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    Please post some pictures.

16. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    0.53V.jpg
    this is the picture and i measure current with the voltmeter?

17. -live wire-

Dec 22, 2017
    And you measured current by shorting it with through the meter?

18. Jensen Leung

Apr 29, 2018
    same method with measuring the voltage

19. -live wire-

Dec 22, 2017
    So yes if you switched it to the current mode and put the probes in the current sockets.

20. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks for the picture :)
    Will it turn the motor faster if you swap the pulleys? Having such a big pulley on the motor will make it run slower I think.