LG WM1832CW Control Board 6871EC1081C

Bryan Lee Ragon

Joined Feb 19, 2018
My control board has given up the ghost. The washer wouldn't power on, but after a few repeated power button presses, the magic smoke was let out of the back of the washer.

Tore it apart and found the resistor that was smoking. R72, near the power connector and the fuse. This resistor was wrapped in a heat shield fabric of some kind. How can I determine what resistor to replace it with? Does anyone have a schematic?

Also, with the control board still connected, I did do a basic "fault to earth" test by testing resistance across both live and neutral to ground on the plug end. Neither was faulted. Can anyone suggest a more comprehensive test? My fear is I replace this resistor, but that it just immediately burns out again.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Remove it and check its resistance with a dvm,

I would look to see how the resistor is connected, like is it in series with a suppression capacitor or a mov.

You may be able to remove it and run it without.

Bryan Lee Ragon

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Unfortunately the entire board is covered in silicone, I don't know how damaging it would be to try to cut through everything enough to get to the back side of the PCB and follow the traces.

But hey, it's already dead, so I can at least try cutting out the resistor and measuring it.

Bryan Lee Ragon

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I did not. I ended up buying a used control board off ebay. It was around $100 but I got lucky. The board I bought was in working order.