LED street lighting control system

Giauzar_

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Hi everyone,
i need your advice on a project i’m working on.

i have an LED street light (3.8V , 700mA) which i need to make a control system for it.
1- is it better to drive the LED by a switched mode regulator with constant current or constant voltage regulator?
2- i’m using PWM to dim the LED, so my choice is a constant current regulator, since i’m turning the driver on and off at high frequency from a PWM signal coming from the Arduino. am i correct?

i looked up through these information, but i just need some more explanation.

regards...

Giauzar_

Joined Feb 7, 2018
hi G,
Welcome to AAC.
I am assuming that the power source will be from the local mains supply.?
I would choose a constant current source, set for 700mA and use PWM for dimming, it will be more efficient than a CV source.

Do you plan to design and build your own CC and PWM modules.?

E

EDIT:

You may find this link interesting.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...nch-power-supply-circuit-design.145280/unread
the street light will be powered from a battery which will be charged from a solar panel.
on the specification of my street light, the power for the street light is 150W (700mA,3.8V) (number of led's = 64)

here's the problem, i don't want an inverter, most drivers i found accepts an ac input voltage or some just can't allow for 150w load, exceeds the maximum allowable power, do you have any suggestion regarding this?

thanks

Giauzar_

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Is this a school/college project? The LED rating seems pitifully low for a practical street light.
i forgot to mention that the power for the street light LED is 150w (700mA , 3.8V ) - number of LED's = 64
the LED also will powered from a battery charged by a solar panel.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A quick glance at street light ads suggests 60W is about the max normally used. Why do you feel the need for 170W?
A 170W light is going to need a pretty big solar panel to recharge the battery.