LCD missing segments, cannot find suitable replacement.

LightningSeed

Joined Sep 15, 2019
I have a circuit board that has a 14 pin 2x8 LCD. Some of the segments of the LCD had gone missing so I check continuity of all the pins then refreshed the solder connections. This didnt bring them back however I noticed when you press down on one side of the LCD parts of the missing segments came back. On closer inspection you can see a chip (dent) in the plastic of the LCD which leads me to believe its taken a knock and loosened the housing meaning when pressure is applied to the side with the chip its makes some of the contacts in the LCD reconnect and display.

Would there be any way of repairing this at all?
I have looked for a direct replacement but have struggled as I need one without a circuit board that can be adapted to fit the board I have, it also needs to me thin enough to fit inside the clamshell housing that covers the screen.

The LCD has the following code DSG100491 in holographic writing. It is 14 pin with 2x8 display, only 4 of the data pins are used.

Could anyone recommend a replacement wether that be like for like or a LCD that can be removed from its board and used here?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The flaw is not in the 14-pin interface.

LCD modules commonly have elastomeric connectors (aka zebra strips). If you can get access to the surfaces of the connectors you might be able to clean them with denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.

LightningSeed

Joined Sep 15, 2019
The flaw is not in the 14-pin interface.

LCD modules commonly have elastomeric connectors (aka zebra strips). If you can get access to the surfaces of the connectors you might be able to clean them with denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.
This is pin connector only, no zebra or heat seal connectors.20190915_113840.jpg