Large levitating platform

jlap

Joined Jul 10, 2019
Hello,

I'm a mechanical engineer doing a small project and I'm terrible in electronic so your help would be very appreciated.

I would like to make a levitating platform project. There's a lot of DIY on youtube about these but small problem, I need to make the patform around a pipe. The platform would be a diameter around 4 to 7 " and I need to turn it on and off.

I was wondering, can I simply use a tutorial like this one but with more magnets on a wider diameter?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Air-Bonsai-Levitation/

If not, what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm a mechanical engineer doing a small project and I'm terrible in electronic so your help would be very appreciated.

I would like to make a levitating platform project. There's a lot of DIY on youtube about these but small problem, I need to make the patform around a pipe. The platform would be a diameter around 4 to 7 " and I need to turn it on and off.

I was wondering, can I simply use a tutorial like this one but with more magnets on a wider diameter?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Air-Bonsai-Levitation/

If not, what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Read the comments on this instructable, it seems it's a challenging project, lacking some critical details.

jlap

Joined Jul 10, 2019
Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

Here's more details. Basicly, this is a sink in which I would like to have a levitating plug. When the plug is turned off, it rest at the bottom and will plug the hole by resting flat on it. When the platform is turned on, it lift to drain the water.

The hydrostatic strenght of the water can be conpensated by permanent magnets but I need a way to lift the "platform"

I know this sound challenging and a little bit insane but my goal is to convert a sink into a dishwasher without having a plumber needing to do modification on the existing piping of the sink. I've been cleaning my dishes for months but the only part missing is the draining of the water that I hope to achieve with this system.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You could perhaps use a ferromagnetic plug, with an electromagnet above the plug; but if you use compensating permanent magnets then the current through the electromagnet would need to be reversible to drop the plug.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've been cleaning my dishes for months but the only part missing is the draining of the water that I hope to achieve with this system.
I'm 71 years old, and have washed dishes for most of my life. What exactly are you washing them with that you cant just reach in and pull the stopper/plug out? If the liquid is so corrosive that it can't be done that way how are you holding the dishes while washing? I must be missing something in this idea.