Kids Elctric car

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
I purchased a 24 volt Electric ride on Car for my grandkids. It worked great for the first few times but now it runs for 10 feet then stops. Power is still on the dash but steering and drive motors won't function for 30 seconds. The place where I bought it sent me a new board but still the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I purchased a 24 volt Electric ride on Car for my grandkids. It worked great for the first few times but now it runs for 10 feet then stops. Power is still on the dash but steering and drive motors won't function for 30 seconds. The place where I bought it sent me a new board but still the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe its microcontroller was coded like that to behave erratically after some days or after warranty period expires. If you draw the circuit of PCB and post it here then I might write a new free program for your boards microcontroller but before that I have to know which microcontroller the board uses.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It looks like there is some protection kicking in.
It could be an over-current or over-temperature protection.
Is the motor running hot?

Bertus

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Or it could be as simple as a failing battery. If you can measure the voltage while under load, that would tell. If the voltage drops below 20 or so, it’s just not going to work. There may be plenty of juice for all the electronics once the motor is cut out.

Welcome to the site. There are plenty of folks here that are willing to assist, so, the question is "how to help?" and that depends a lot on your level of skill and interest (i.e., how much do you know about these kinds of electronics and how much effort do you want to expend trying to fix the unit). You have said that the place where you bought it gave you a new board, but that did not provide a fix. So, one suggestion is to take it back to them again. Not sure if there is a reason that you have not done that, but if there is a reason, let us know.

Getting help is also going to depend, in part, on some more details.

Make/model, for example. It is not unusual for some models to have a common problem and others may have reported this and you might gain some insight and facilitate a fix by specific searching. Also some more detail on the problem. For example, after 30 min, does it work again for a bit and so on? Those can be important clues and you will need them to help isolate the cause.

From a simple troubleshooting FAQ:
Symptom: Ride Toy Stops Intermittently, then restarts after several minutes.

A.) Possible Cause: Ride On Toy automatic Circuit Breaker has tripped because of overloading.

Solutions: Reduce load on the riding toy. To [SIC] much weight, steep slopes, thick grass, sand, etc. or any combination of these conditions can overload the vehicle.

B.) Possible Cause: Ride On Toy Defective thermal protector.

Solutions: Replace Ride On Toy thermal protector.

C.) Possible Cause: Ride On Toy accelerator switch not operating properly.

Solutions, Replace Ride On Toy accelerator switch.

@bertus has already mentioned B) above (and I think that is a definite possibility, unless it was already tested/replaced at the place you returned it to), but before jumping in you might want to check off A) above - are you outside the weight limits and other conditions which should be specified in the manual, but not necessarily pointed out by the folks who sold it to you. Sounds silly, I guess, but it is something to easily check because, if you were, that could cause a legitimate triggering of the cut-out.

For B or C, you are going to need to identify those parts - are you up to that? No shame at all if you are not, but it something to consider.

Let us know.

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
Or it could be as simple as a failing battery. If you can measure the voltage while under load, that would tell. If the voltage drops below 20 or so, it’s just not going to work. There may be plenty of juice for all the electronics once the motor is cut out.
Car is only a couple months old and the indicators on the dash say it's fully charged. It only stops for 15-20 seconds then something resets and away it goes. I jumped the thermal protector near the battery. No change

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Can you put a voltmeter across the motor terminals? There may be a thermal cutout internal to the motor. If the voltage does not go away when the car stops, then you know it's internal to the motor.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Batteries are a major cost in such an item ...sounds like they used cheap ones Possibly used 18650 cells taken from used scrap laptop batteries ....common practice in china ....

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
Can you put a voltmeter across the motor terminals? There may be a thermal cutout internal to the motor. If the voltage does not go away when the car stops, then you know it's internal to the motor.
There is a thermal cut out at the battery. I bypassed it. Same thing. All Lights radio and options continue to work only steering and wheels cut out

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
So I figured it out!! There were 2 wires going back to the motors that were pinched under a screw right from the manufacturer. They are sending me a new board then all should be good. Thanks for all the input guys!!

Andy

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
Well I got a new board and it still does the same thing. Runs for 10 to 15 feet then the wheels stop dead wait 30 seconds and away you go. Incidentally I noticed that the forward reverse switch on the car and the high low switch doesn't do anything either. Help please my grandson is driving me crazy!!!lol

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you have easy access to the motor wiring and battery?
I would jack the car up on blocks or just get the wheels off the ground.
Disconnect the controller and jumper the motor to the battery. See if the motor will run continuously.

Some photos posted might help us see your situation.

6Hammer8

Joined Jun 19, 2018
Do you have easy access to the motor wiring and battery?
I would jack the car up on blocks or just get the wheels off the ground.
Disconnect the controller and jumper the motor to the battery. See if the motor will run continuously.

Some photos posted might help us see your situation.
Yup I did that. There are 2 motors. Disconnected one then the other ran them direct no issues. Even up in the air on a jack stand it does the same thing. I only used the remote control as my grandson is only 2. Just noticed that the gas pedal does work but not the speed control or the forward neutral reverse switch.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am still confused.

Yup I did that. There are 2 motors. Disconnected one then the other ran them direct no issues. Even up in the air on a jack stand it does the same thing. I only used the remote control as my grandson is only 2. Just noticed that the gas pedal does work but not the speed control or the forward neutral reverse switch.
There are two motors.
You connect one motor to the battery and it runs ok?