Kicad - add a power on/off switch to the curcuit

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

Can anyone please help me find a regular slide switch symbol in the library and the footprint to it. I am using the standard library in Kicad 5.1.6.

1598092987587.png

The slide switch I have meassure 2.5mm between the pins C/C and the pin thickness meassure 0.65mm. What is the symbol and the footprint called?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The "symbol" doesn't matter. Only the package outline (to a lesser degree) and pinout(s) matter.

Use any symbol that suits you with the proper electronic function, e.g, SPDT, SPST, DPDT, and number of connections.

Failing that, make your own library device. That may take less time than trying to find something another person made that may have errors.

Double check the pin spacing or refer to the datasheet. 2.5 mm is very close to 2.54 mm (0.1"). 0.65 mm ~ 0.025", also a common size.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
KiCad schematics has SW_SPDT symbol that suits for you. I have'nt found footprint in official libraries, so you must draw your own. Measuring actual component even with caliper gives too much error for you so you do this only if you dont find proper datasheet for this device.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Okay thanks. I found the SW_SPDT in Kicad.

Regarding the footprint. Can I use the following footprint: Connector_Pinheader_1x03_P2.54mm_Vertical ?

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Unfortunately I dont. It's just some random slide switch I found. Does it make a (big) difference if it meassures 2.5 or 2.54 mm between the pins?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Unfortunately I dont. It's just some random slide switch I found. Does it make a (big) difference if it meassures 2.5 or 2.54 mm between the pins?
Probably not much difference, but may depend on whether a DIY or commercial PCB. Do you have a solderless breadboard? How easily does it fit?

If it fits easily, they it is likely imperial units; if the pins are off just a little, then likely metric. I would guess it's imperial.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is very simple to either make from scratch or simply make a new foot print from a copy of one that is close, just move or edit the pads etc.
Max.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
It is very simple to either make from scratch or simply make a new foot print from a copy of one that is close, just move or edit the pads etc.
Max.
I actually tried to but I didnt succeed. It said I wasn't allowed to save in the library. I also couldnt create a new library.
There must be an extended library on the internet free to import.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I actually tried to but I didnt succeed. It said I wasn't allowed to save in the library. I also couldnt create a new library.
There must be an extended library on the internet free to import.
I think many people routinely keep two or more libraries. At a minimum, you need your personal library and the one that comes with KiCad. Then when there are updates, there is no risk of losing all your work. I have some others in addition: Sparkfun has several. I saved the few of interest to me. Adafruit also has one, I believe. Probably more on GitHub.

I tend to use the same parts over and over or add new IC's to my personal library when needed. That way, in practice, I only need to go the Eagle library for standard connectors and passive components. I use my own for almost everything else.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
Make some folder for your own footprints with name like : myfootprints.pretty ( .pretty was required extension in library folder name with previous versions but works now well also). Then load a existing footprint to modify (or create from scratch) with footprint editor. Once done with editing, click to "Export footprint" button (top row) and then choose your folder to save.