Just dropping by to say hi.....

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You missed the simile.:cool:
That's funny. Actually, I didn't miss it; I had it in my post that there were no similies or metaphors until I noticed the simile, so I edited my post. :D

So, what is your native language? Your English is far better than that of the average American.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You don't need to go far. My native language is Greek, where I was born and is stated over my posts. Nothing perplexed there.

Google helps alot when I want to use a word that I know in Greek but I 'm not sure about in English. I translate the word via Google in English and then go back and Google "~ meaning" to cross check.

Proper (and sometimes fancy) use of languages is like a hobby to me. I 'm in a good level for Greek and English is present daily too, to the point that it interferes with my talking in Greek. That's kinda sad.
I do well with French and ventured a bit in Spanish. I 've tried my luck with Japanese too, but it took more time than I had available and had to take an indefinite break.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I already practiced English daily before I entered AAC, so it's not like I got noticeably better here. But writing frequently on a browser with spellcheck has helped me nail down some bad spelling habits. Mostly, AAC helps me explore new words. Slang is an ongoing think, so yes, you guys help me there too.

In all, it's the subtle things that lead to perfection.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I already practiced English daily before I entered AAC, so it's not like I got noticeably better here. But writing frequently on a browser with spellcheck has helped me nail down some bad spelling habits. Mostly, AAC helps me explore new words. Slang is an ongoing think, so yes, you guys help me there too.

In all, it's the subtle things that lead to perfection.
I think the thing that makes your command of the language so excellent is the fact that you generally don't use slang. You use the english language as it is meant to be spoken (or written) :cool:

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't know to what extend it helped, but my first teacher (ages 10-12) was a Greek professor, my second one (13-14) was a typical English old lady and the third one (15-17) was an Irish woman who despite her Greek marriage, never managed to pronounce Greek properly. All three were certified English professors, one way or another.
So, yeah, my English education was quite formal. Television and computer games came over those foundations and never took roots in the way I speak; or at least I hope so.

I think the thing that makes your use of the language so excellent is the fact that you generally don't use slang. You use the english language as it is meant to be spoken (or written) :cool:
Stromy...you post reminds me of a time I was working and spending a great deal of time doing so...with the Loan Dept. of an U.S. based Bank of international reach that I was brought in to help them streamline this division due to the fact they kept getting burned giving loans to a very specific group of businesses that were specific to the Entertainment Industry.

Since at the time...many Entertainment Groups were entities of their own and not...as almost are now...Subsitiaries of large International Corporations...as example...Sony...which bought out and owns everything from Major Motion Picture companies and studios, a massive Music Library which Sony owns the rights to many famous Musicians songs and Recording Labels, Sony Electronics division which Bravia is one of their babies...the list is endless.

Years ago...much of the companies in Entertainment were independent and for a Lending Institution...NOTHING was as High Risk and High Return as lending money to such companies. Lending deals were structured in a manner that reflected this but since many of such loans were given based upon either collateral that was specific to property that would be very difficult...although valuable...to find a buyer at auction...as well as Real Estate that was constructed in a manner with few other possible uses other than making, films, recording music...and the like as such property was not purchased for it's location specific to other fields of business....many times loans were given that would be repaid based upon the viability of ongoing entertainment projects and even WHO these entertainment companies had signed to contracts to star in films or record music.

The main problem the Lenders where having was that their personel was not experienced enough to know what the value REALLY was of property and material and equipment to be used as partial collateral. If a project went belly up...the Lenders would quickly find that such collateral went at auction for only 10 to 20% of what their people had it valued at.

Thus...this is where I came in. During the period I worked doing this the bosses had hired a Consultant Firm that was paid a rediculous fee...to teach their employees the LATEST BULLCRAP FAD of....the reason you are loosing money is because of...THIS.

Now I had seen Consultant Groups do things like this before but this time the Big Lesson was titled...COMMUNICATION AND PROFIT AND LOSS. The thing these consultants kept on stressing again and again was...DO NOT USE ABBREVIATIONS...as perhaps YOU know what it means but the person who is your customer may not.

One day while eating an apple in the break room I brought with me...some Manager with a Consultant along side him came in and yelled...Everyone grab your lunch and we are going outside on the back lawn and have a meeting. Now I didn't have to go but I was curious to see what this was all about and it was a nice spring day...so I went.

They sat everyone down on some laid out blankets under a tree and told us to eat and LEARN. They passed out sheets outlining all their POWER POINTS and rules that if followed would allow the employees to make themselves and the company more money. This is when I listened to then say over and over again about how not to use abbreviations and they talk about and go over each one of their Power Point rules to why this should not be done.

I raised my hand and asked..."So NO ONE should EVER use abbreviated words or abbreviations to describe a term...right?' The Consultant said..."RIGHT...NEVER!" I asked...not even on paper? He replied...ESPECIALLY NEVER ON PAPER!

I then asked..."So I guess this doesn't apply to you guy's since each one of your Power Point Rules starts with a number then is abbreviated...number 1. NUB....I guess that means...Never Use Abbreviations? But why did you start that with a B instead of an A?

Split Infinity

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
So, it read "Number 1. NUB"?

What did NUB meant? I can't believe they botched it so bad that they meant to write
"Never Use Abbreviations".

So, it read "Number 1. NUB"?

What did NUB meant? I can't believe they botched it so bad that they meant to write
"Never Use Abbreviations".
Yeah...these clowns actually had 1. N.U.B....instead of N.U.A.

Bad enough to be telling people not to use abbreviations and give them a numbered list of Power Point Rules...that were abbreviated...but they actually screwed up the abbreviations!

Split Infinity