Just a variable voltage selection.

Ziggler

Joined Jun 2, 2019
Good morning. I'm looking just to add a variable external potentiometer to a 120>12v power supply output to control this blower fan. Is a pot all I need for variable voltage/speed output? And if so, is it just any 12v rated pot?
Thank you much!

Ziggler

Joined Jun 2, 2019
@Alec_t Thanks for the welcome!

Here's a couple pics of the PSU. So is it basically putting a pot in line with hot? Or is there more to it?

Thanks for replying.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's a couple pics of the PSU. So is it basically putting a pot in line with hot? Or is there more to it?
There's more to it then that, unless the fan takes very little current (which is not likely).
How much current does the fan require?

Generally a PWM circuit works best for that purpose.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes, you are missing the fact that your power supply would probably suffer an early death if operated that way.

I second using a PWM controller. A 3A 12V capable one is lss than 10 bucks on Amazon or Ebay.

Bob

Ziggler

Joined Jun 2, 2019
Yes, you are missing the fact that your power supply would probably suffer an early death if operated that way.

I second using a PWM controller. A 3A 12V capable one is lss than 10 bucks on Amazon or Ebay.

Bob

Ahh silly me! Beings this is such a massive electronics site - anyone know of a good place for a used PS?
Thanks again!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Barely and not for long. Do you run your car engine at MAX RPM nonstop? I'd look for a minimum of 7A and preferably 10A but then I'm conservative.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Might want to add a little more care in your wiring there as well. Crimping the ends in some eyelets would be ideal but at the least you may want to cut away those hanging strands...

Ziggler

Joined Jun 2, 2019
Barely and not for long. Do you run your car engine at MAX RPM nonstop? I'd look for a minimum of 7A and preferably 10A but then I'm conservative.
My plan was using the PWM controller and running the blower at %20-%50, definitely not %100, for maybe 15 minutes at a time, off and on. So do you think that PS would work in that manor?

@narkeleptk Yes, this was just to kick the fan on and see how much air it blows. Everything will be soldered up and heat shrunk when done.

@BobTPH - just saw your post. So knowing what I wrote above, 5A seems alright?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My plan was using the PWM controller and running the blower at %20-%50, definitely not %100
In that case the power supply you have may be sufficient.
A fan's motor current drops off rapidly with speed, since the fan load is non-linear, i.e. 50% fan speed requires less than 50% power.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The start-up current of a DC motor is several times the rated normal running current (2.5A) , so a 5A-rated SMPS type supply as per the post #10 link might object to the start-up (bearing in mind that '5A' is in units of 'Internet Amps', which may be exaggerated). Your existing 12V supply, on the other hand, looks to be the old school chunky transformer type, which generally can tolerate a brief current surge. I agree with Crutschow.