isolation transformer

john74

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Hello...just starting out in electronics, I got an oscilloscope, a B&K Precision 2190B...and realized that I should probably get an isolation transformer, because of the potential problems with ground loops and such. I've spotted a simple isolation transformer, B&K Precision 1604A , all be it its from the same company...still I wanted to make sure. Would this transformer suffice to use with equipment under test ? Its only got one outlet but thats fine for me for now. Also, if need be, could I use this on the oscilloscope...if it would be necessary to float the scope ? Just double checking here. Here's a link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precisio...20V-150W-Single-Output-Reset-SW-/301968835354
Thanks

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Not many details on the datasheet, but nothing alarming either. It states "Leakage: less than 0.1 mA", which is pretty good, its just too bad they don't spell out the amount of that is because of capacitive coupling, so we can't get a feeling for how good the isolation is a high frequencies.

If you put the piece of equipment under test on the isolation transformer, there should be little or no need to float the scope, which carries a risk of electric shock, not only to you but also to the circuits that you probe,

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Don't think you need an isolation transformer unless you are working on equipment that does not have a line isolation transformer, which most devices already have.
Ground loops are usually not a problem for typical circuits.

john74

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Not many details on the datasheet, but nothing alarming either. It states "Leakage: less than 0.1 mA", which is pretty good, its just too bad they don't spell out the amount of that is because of capacitive coupling, so we can't get a feeling for how good the isolation is a high frequencies.

If you put the piece of equipment under test on the isolation transformer, there should be little or no need to float the scope, which carries a risk of electric shock, not only to you but also to the circuits that you probe,
If you're testing equipment or device without the ground to mains, and not using the isolation transformer, any danger there?

john74

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Also it mentions that you connect the ground terminal from the scope to some ground point on equipment under test,otherwise the scope could draw the entire current of device under test through the scope...grounding it prevents this problem. At least in certain circumatances not grounding from the scope could be dangerous. do you find this a typical method grounding from the ground terminsl/jack from the oscilloscope ?