Isolated DC/DC module for Mosfet driver

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Is it possible to use an isolated DC/DC module instead of the normal boot strap capacitor/diode when making a high side mosfet switch? And if so how would it be connected? I'm using a FAN7390 half bridge driver, and even though not needing the low side driver, was going to just use it to give a path to ground to charge the bootstrap cap. But then thought maybe the isolated converter could work.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Unless I am missing something.
If only using the Hi side, why not simply go with a low side only?
Max.
This is for my ongoing EDM (electrical discharge machine) machine. It has to be a high side switch. There will actually be two in the circuit, one to charge a capacitor bank, and another to discharge the caps into the spark gap.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm building an electrical discharge machine spark generator. This is one of those type things that can't be sure of frequency until it is built. It is all dependent on voltages in different parts of the circuit, those voltages through comparators and a logic circuit will turn on and off two mosfets. There is no real world information out there about how it works, all of the manufactures treat things as proprietary. The DIY circuits that are available leave a lot to be desired, I'm trying to come up with something that is closer to a real one.