Is VHDL still being used?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Is VHDL still being used? If so in what industries? I have a chance to learn it from an old guy through a class. It sounds fascinating but wondering how practical it is.

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
Is VHDL still being used? If so in what industries? I have a chance to learn it from an old guy through a class. It sounds fascinating but wondering how practical it is.
Definitely. We do our FPGA designs in VHDL (industrial machine monitoring). I learned VHDL in school, where it's still being taught. My understanding is that VHDL is more popular in the US, whereas Verilog is more popular in Europe.

The VHDL language itself is kind of clunky, but the real challenge is letting go of the top-down sequential flow mentality associated with compiled code and learning to think in terms of parallel hardware flow. Digilent sells relatively inexpensive and well-supported FPGA dev boards that can get you started, and the FPGA manufacturers offer free IDEs that of course support VHDL. It's fun; go for it!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Thanks @bogosort i was just looking at it and it reminds me a little of low level programming with Boolean logic. Wow it is amazing... it explains everything.

It takes so much to do things in it but gotta love how it addresses everything at the lowest level possible.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Thank you @bertus I will play around and if I do end up taking the class I won’t be as lost. For me the true value is in understanding exactly at the hardware level what is going on when we code. It’s eye opening.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
VHDL very much in use,
and it is a lot more than Boolean,

Verlog and VHDL are both hardware description languages,
you can do things like A <= B * C; in both languages.

Typical verilog is debugged in simulators and other checking tools. VHDL is very very critical on its design, but a lot of the bugs are found at the design time, not down the line.

e.g. take the simple C <= A + B;

verilog and vhdl are both happy with this.
But if we define A and B are 8 bit numbers,
what happens if we define C as 8 bits.

VHDL, will tell you that you need 9 bits, and not compile.
Verilog will compile happily, and let you make silicon.
but did you mean to drop the top bit, or did you mean for C to be 9 bits but forgot.
so in VHDL you have to say what you want to do , in Veilog you could have made a mistake or not, hope your test bench finds it,

System Verilog, Sv as its called some times, has taken a lot of the points from VHDL,
but it has left all the old probems in , and relies upon you not to use the bad ays.

As for learning,

http://freerangefactory.org/pdf/df344hdh4h8kjfh3500ft2/free_range_vhdl.pdf

Definitely. We do our FPGA designs in VHDL (industrial machine monitoring). I learned VHDL in school, where it's still being taught. My understanding is that VHDL is more popular in the US, whereas Verilog is more popular in Europe.

The VHDL language itself is kind of clunky, but the real challenge is letting go of the top-down sequential flow mentality associated with compiled code and learning to think in terms of parallel hardware flow. Digilent sells relatively inexpensive and well-supported FPGA dev boards that can get you started, and the FPGA manufacturers offer free IDEs that of course support VHDL. It's fun; go for it!
Great answer thank you

soyez

Joined Aug 17, 2020
VHDL is Still Being Used by Avionics Companies as they Target their Designs(Usually Low Complex) into FPGAs and CLPDs. As there is no genuine need to relocate the Legacy plan to OOP dialects from VHDL, Since the Synthesis instrument Continue to Support VHDL.

Nicholas Lee

Joined Apr 29, 2017
I'm in the UK, and have spent the last 30 years working on FPGAs. I've never needed to use Verilog as all the various companies where I have worked have used VHDL exclusively in their design teams for sound commercial reasons (becuase VHDL helps catch bugs early, and catching bugs early is MUCH cheaper than trying to find and fix bugs later on in production).
I have worked on both military and commercial radar and high-speed networking and telecoms FPGAs using some of the largest FPGAs money can buy.
VHDL won't ever be replaced by Verilog, but at some point it may be partially replaced by "C-to-VHDL" compilers.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I'm in the UK, and have spent the last 30 years working on FPGAs. I've never needed to use Verilog as all the various companies where I have worked have used VHDL exclusively in their design teams for sound commercial reasons (becuase VHDL helps catch bugs early, and catching bugs early is MUCH cheaper than trying to find and fix bugs later on in production).
I have worked on both military and commercial radar and high-speed networking and telecoms FPGAs using some of the largest FPGAs money can buy.
VHDL won't ever be replaced by Verilog, but at some point it may be partially replaced by "C-to-VHDL" compilers.
IMHO, its going to be replaced by system verilog

as people think they can take all the advantages of VHDL, and write Verilog.
From what I have seen,
people write System Verilog , 99 percent in a VHDL manor, but that last 1% where they use wire and reg, and other "bad" verilog features causes great problems,