Is VHDL still being used?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Is VHDL still being used? If so in what industries? I have a chance to learn it from an old guy through a class. It sounds fascinating but wondering how practical it is.

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
Is VHDL still being used? If so in what industries? I have a chance to learn it from an old guy through a class. It sounds fascinating but wondering how practical it is.
Definitely. We do our FPGA designs in VHDL (industrial machine monitoring). I learned VHDL in school, where it's still being taught. My understanding is that VHDL is more popular in the US, whereas Verilog is more popular in Europe.

The VHDL language itself is kind of clunky, but the real challenge is letting go of the top-down sequential flow mentality associated with compiled code and learning to think in terms of parallel hardware flow. Digilent sells relatively inexpensive and well-supported FPGA dev boards that can get you started, and the FPGA manufacturers offer free IDEs that of course support VHDL. It's fun; go for it!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Thanks @bogosort i was just looking at it and it reminds me a little of low level programming with Boolean logic. Wow it is amazing... it explains everything.

It takes so much to do things in it but gotta love how it addresses everything at the lowest level possible.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Thank you @bertus I will play around and if I do end up taking the class I won’t be as lost. For me the true value is in understanding exactly at the hardware level what is going on when we code. It’s eye opening.