Is This Possible??

rescueweasel

Joined Aug 29, 2014
I have a small CNC router that uses mach3 and the program turns on and off two switched ac outlets to control the vacuum and the router during cutting.

I have a small cutting laser which I want to attach to the gantry and use to cut, but it runs off 12 volts. I want to have its power controlled the same way as the router by the machine.

I hooked up an ac to dc converter and it powers the laser fine but the problem is that there is a lag coming on and the power tapers off when shut down. I need instant on and off of the 12 volts.

Is there such thing as a relay that I can have 12v in and out but have a 120v ac trigger? Or is there something better I could use.? The laser draws about 2.5 amps at 12 volts.

Thanks for the help.

rescueweasel

Joined Aug 29, 2014
Thanks for the info. This is not a commercial built product. I have been slowly making everything learning as I go. Here is a picture

Not sure I understand which relay to get and how to hook it up but at least I have some direction now

Attachments

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
You need a 120VAC coil relay to switch the 12VDC output from the AC-DC converter to the laser. The input to the AC-DC converter stays on.
Like the one BeerBelly linked to.

Ken