Is this PIC working?

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I think I've popped a PIC, but before I change it to a new one, is there a way to tell if it is working or not?

I couldn't get the Pickit3 connector to work properly, so I was removing the plastic pin separator with a screwdirver, to make a better contact, and didn't notice it was still connected to power, and one of the LEDs came on. (No program yet)

I've set the OSC to INT plus CLKO enabled, and programmed a simple LED flash program, but there's no CLK shown on the Oscilloscope.

Any ideas, please?
Camerart.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you are leaving the pickit connected while the pic should be running, make sure that the 'hold in reset' button is released.
If still not running measure the voltage on the MCLR pin - it should be at supply voltage.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
If you are leaving the pickit connected while the pic should be running, make sure that the 'hold in reset' button is released.
If still not running measure the voltage on the MCLR pin - it should be at supply voltage.
Hi A,
With the Pickit disconnected. MCLR Pin is at supply voltage. Still not running.
C.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Look at oscillator out (set in configuration registers).
2) Add a short section of code that blinks or changes the stratus of an LED when the code reaches that point.
3) If the programmer is giving an error, try a new chip. Can be any chip. If that works, that points to your chip. If that doesn't work, it points to the programmer or connections with it.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you have configured the CLKOUT pin to output the clock and you don’t see a signal on that pin, the PIC is not running. That does not mean it is damaged, you can do things in the configuration that keep it from running.

I suppose it is also possible that rhe program has overridden the CLKOUT pin with some peripheral.

Best bet is ti try another PIC with the same program.

Bob

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi J and B,
You both suggest trying a new PIC, so that's what I'll do next. I bet that I did 'pop' it.
C

Last edited: