Is this NAND 1 bit comparator correct?

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Hey everyone, I put the values of the following into the circuit and I do not get what is expected.

A B
1 1
1 0
0 1

When I put the values, manually, into the circuit, I get the following results:

A B A>B A=B A<B
1 0 0 0 0
1 1 1 1 1
0 1 0 0 0

This is incorrect. Could someone else give the circuit a go to see if you get the same values as me?
Thanks!

Attachments

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Ah, now I see my mistake. Thanks alot MrChips! If you don't mind, I also have another question. The truth table for the 1 bit magnitude comparator would look like:

A B A>B A=B A<B
0 0 0 1 0
0 1 0 0 1
1 0 1 0 0
1 1 0 1 0

So my equations would be:
F1(A>B) = AB'
F2(A=B) = A'B' + AB
F3(A<B) = A'B

How would this lead me to the schematic attached?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Are you sure that you understand the truth table of a NAND gate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negated_AND_gate

I see some errors in the manual simulation. Take a look at the diagram below and identify the differences between it and yours. Then complete the simulation by replacing the question marks with their logic values...

Attachments

Last edited:

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
@djsfantasi, yes i messed up with the NAND, I understand it now. Could either of you help me with my second question, which is how to go from the truth table to the scematic?

Thanks for helping also!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That is bit trickier. I can see how you can arrive at the solution knowing the solution ahead of time but I cannot arrive at the circuit from the equations.

The first example:

F1(A>B) = AB' = ( (AB')' )'

but the circuit uses (AB)' instead of just B'. The A in this gate is redundant.

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Ok let me pose a different question. From the boolean equations derived above, they all contain NOT gates. My schematic can only have NAND gates. I am not bothered about obtaining the 1 bit comparator NAND schematic as shown above, just so that it contains only NAND gates.

Also, F1, F2 and F3 are all separate. How would three functions be combined into one, on a boolean equation level?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I know so far no other way than just looking and tweaking the expressions' terms until you find some common ones that are shared among them.

If someone else knows a better way, I 'd like to hear it too.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I didn't initially reply, because I would use a brute force method.

NAND gates are considered universal, as all other gates can be contructed from them. The Wikipedia article shows that well. By combining your three functions, visually, I can see how to develop the circuit - but I am only a hobbyist and cannot explain my methods.

(a NOT gate is a NAND gate with it's two inputs tied together)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
OK, this really intrigued me. I kept working on it.

First, I noted that the truth table for F2(A,B) is the same as an XNOR gate.

The NAND gate equivalent for this gate is as follows is easy to find. So this implements F2.

F1 and F3 are similar in form, A'B versus AB'... Let's look at the latter first, F1(A,B)=AB'. If you look at the XNOR gate equivalent, you might find a place to use as an AND gate with the addition of one more gate. But how do we get B'?

This is where a little trick comes into play. Examine the circuit carefully. If A=0, then F1() will always be 0. But if A = 1, then the NAND gate marked with an 'a' will act as a NOT gate for the B signal, giving us AB' ! So F1() is almost implemented already within the XNOR circuit.

The same trick applies to F3() and A'B...

Try and work it out yourself.:cool:

Attachments

Last edited: