Is there a npn transistor substitute for a LM386 amplifier?

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
I am looking for a npn or pnp transistor substitute for the Lm 386 amplifier chip which powers a 8 ohm 1/2 watt speaker.
The reason that I want to make this switch is for cost, easier to solder to pref board, and less time to assemble and solder.

The lm386 is a good amplifer, however I want to reproduce the amplifier circuit using transistors, preferbly less that 2 transistors.

Thanks

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
Would using mosfets or jfets reduce the amount of components in the circuit to solder which functions like the lm386 audio amplifier?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Considering that your time has value, no matter how low, or how high for the case, and the fact that that you need to ask such a question you should forget your idea and move on to something more productive.

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
ok thanks

Just to cover my bases, What other 8 pin amplifiers are equivalent to the LM386.
I am interested in persuing other options if possible for experimental purposes.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
ok thanks

Just to cover my bases, What other 8 pin amplifiers are equivalent to the LM386.
I am interested in persuing other options if possible for experimental purposes.
I guess I'm curious, just how much does an LM386 cost you? They aren't expensive, and if it's a volume question, cost goes down as quantity of purchase goes up...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What is the reason for using something different?
Knowing that, we can make better suggestions, since there are many audio amp devices available.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I am looking for a npn or pnp transistor substitute for the Lm 386 amplifier chip which powers a 8 ohm 1/2 watt speaker.
The reason that I want to make this switch is for cost, easier to solder to pref board, and less time to assemble and solder.

The lm386 is a good amplifer, however I want to reproduce the amplifier circuit using transistors, preferbly less that 2 transistors.

Thanks
It comes in an 8 Pin DIP, 0.1" spaced package and sells for $0.35 each ( QTY 10 )
Why / How is that hard to solder on a perf board?
What could be "easier" to solder?
$0.35 each is cheap.

The complete amplifier kit, with circuit board and volume control, sells for $4.00

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
I guess I'm curious, just how much does an LM386 cost you? They aren't expensive, and if it's a volume question, cost goes down as quantity of purchase goes up...
I have containers of transistors that I bought quantity 840 components which cost me $20 and lm386 quantity 10 components costing $12.

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
It comes in an 8 Pin DIP, 0.1" spaced package and sells for $0.35 each ( QTY 10 )
Why / How is that hard to solder on a perf board?
What could be "easier" to solder?
$0.35 each is cheap.

The complete amplifier kit, with circuit board and volume control, sells for $4.00
Soldering the chip to the pref board is not a problem. The diifculty for me is to solder the lead wires to each pin. I can do it but it is very time consuming for me. I could possibly use a special pef board which has 8 pin nodes which extends out each soldered pin to a larger surface area which might make it easier as well as less time consuming for me to assemble.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you are going to be assembling a lot of them, make a PCB. You can get 10 for a few dollars now from various suppliers in China.

Bob