Is there a 1 F Capacitor low Voltage and Small dia. case available

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

I was wondering IF anyone has seen / used a 1F electrolytic capacitor with a low Voltage, 3.7v or a little higher BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY a Rea SMALL diameter case?

I looked on ebay but they are too big.

I am looking for a few for a hobby experiment, source link would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks
George

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello

I was wondering IF anyone has seen / used a 1F electrolytic capacitor with a low Voltage BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY a Rea SMALL diameter case?

I looked on ebay but they are too big.

I am looking for a few for a hobby experiment, source link would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks
George
Could you possibly be bothered to state explicitly what you mean by a "Rea[lly] SMALL diameter case"?
It would also be helpful to know how much you want to spend. Would $100/ea. be too much?

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
0.248" does not fit my description of "Rea[lly] SMALL diameter" but it may work for the TS. $0.92 seems like a bargain.
Hi
The very first one in the Digikey link is what I`m after But can a 3.7v version be found? Also my idea of small is about 8mm dia.
George

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Anything in the 6mm dia. x 10+mm long at 3.7v or more
George
So, just to be clear, these tiny 1F capacitors are known as Super Capacitors and are unlike common aluminum Electrolytic caps. To most people, anything smaller than a soda can for a 1F capacitor is unheard of, there must be some hitch, right? Well, that is right. The problem with super capacitors is they must be charged or drained with less than a few milliamperes (usually specified at 1mA).

If that doesn't work for you, you'll have to put several in parallel until you get to your 10mA current needs. If, however, you need amps or high milliamperes, then you'll need the soda-can sized cap.

If that is disappointing, you're not the first to feel that way but be reassured that you are not the first to run into limitations of today's knowledge of physics and chemistry.

Cheers.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Where did you get that idea?

Bob
From the datasheets on the list of SuperCaps I posted. Maybe 50mA in some applications but 30 to 100 ohm ESR and self-heating thermal damage from that ESR can be problematic at higher amperage loads With this class of caps (from my understanding).

If you can point the OP to a direction I don't know of, I am sure he would appreciate it.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
From the datasheets on the list of SuperCaps I posted. Maybe 50mA in some applications but 30 to 100 ohm ESR and self-heating thermal damage from that ESR can be problematic at higher amperage loads With this class of caps (from my understanding).

If you can point the OP to a direction I don't know of, I am sure he would appreciate it.
Okay, I thought you were talking about all supercapacitors. There are some that can be used to start your car:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.main07.15.2eb8b096ZBGohv&s=p

Bob