Is python useful for telecom technician ?

alexstemarie

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Hello,

I'd like to know if python programming skills could be an asset for a telecommunication technician/engineer.
Does anybody have some experience with python into the field ?

I'm currently studying telecommunication electronics in a College in Montréal, Canada and i hold a diploma in software development.

I figured out lately electronics and telecom is my thing but i'm missing upper level general programming. We are currently working with Xilinx (spartan) and Microchip (dspic30F) hardware, so learning assembly, c and vhdl. One of my teacher is asking us to develop analyzing and calculating tools using Labview, which i find super messy, but somewhat effective for interfacing and graphic tools.

In other words, i'm wondering if i could kill two birds on stone by learning python : having fun by coding creative stuff and at the same time building up my resume for my upcoming career. It seems like there is a library for everything in python nowadays, even Labview has an API !

I was thinking about starting with the introduction course on codeacademy.com and then this online course focusing NumPy and SciPy on the Harvard online education platform.

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

It depends on whether Python is used in the job you're considering. If it, it would be helpful to know it. If it isn't, then it's less helpful.

alexstemarie

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the quick answer.

Good point, this is a question of professional objective.
I'll focus on my DSP/FPGA programming and electronics math instead. However, being ahead in my school work, I've been wondering what to do of my free time

All About Circuits seems to be a nice community by the way.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
However, being ahead in my school work, I've been wondering what to do of my free time
I don't think you can go wrong by learning more languages. I was developing software long before Python was a twinkle in someone's eye. So I'm more inclined towards C, awk, sed, csh, and PERL.

I've learned a number of languages that have fallen from favor; Mainsail, FORTRAN, Pascal, and Skill among them. Tcl/Tk might be good to learn. I've seen it used in unexpected places (a layout editor) and Mentor Graphics has a layout verification program called Calibre that can be programmed in SVRF (Standard Verification Rule Format) or TVF (Tcl Verification Format).
All About Circuits seems to be a nice community by the way.
This is one of the better sites I've been on, but there's still an occasional troll here.