Is it possible to interface PC DDR Memory chip with a MCU?

Leegenux

Joined Sep 5, 2019
Hello! Lately I've been on a project. Part of it is about finding a solution to interface the DDR memory chip with a MCU. The DDR memory is like what's described in the datasheet : https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...esource/2017/11/DS_K4B1G0846I-BC_Rev1_0-0.pdf . And the MCU is https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/PIC32MX220F032B .

My concern is that there might be some problems with the clock frequency. If you are interested or have experience in stuff like this, would you please draw a direction here.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your concern is a valid one. Since DDR memory is dynamic memory, clock times are critical.
It would be less critical if one uses SRAM.

Leegenux

Joined Sep 5, 2019
Your concern is a valid one. Since DDR memory is dynamic memory, clock times are critical.
It would be less critical if one uses SRAM.
But SRAM is more expensive and much larger in physical size than DRAM at the same capacity, so it's definitely blacklisted.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Are you committed to using the PIC32? Wouldn't it be better to use something like an ARM chip that supports DDR?

Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Also, how much memory space do you really need?
What is the need for memory space? Is it for in-core data processing or for off-core data storage?
ARM MCUs come with a sizable amount of on-chip SRAM. If you need ???GB or data storage you can add micro-SD memory cards.

What is your application?

My current choice for ARM development is STM32F746G-DISCO.

Leegenux

Joined Sep 5, 2019
Also, how much memory space do you really need?
What is the need for memory space? Is it for in-core data processing or for off-core data storage?
ARM MCUs come with a sizable amount of on-chip SRAM. If you need ???GB or data storage you can add micro-SD memory cards.

What is your application?

My current choice for ARM development is STM32F746G-DISCO.
My application is to make the DRAM a volatile storage. Thus yes it should be as large as 1GB or even more.

Is STM32F746G-DISCO a dev board?
So if the ARM board does the job, is the ability to interface DRAM integrated into the chip or just because of the board.

Last edited:

Leegenux

Joined Sep 5, 2019
My application is to make the DRAM a volatile storage. Thus yes it should be as large as 1GB or even more.

Is STM32F746G-DISCO a dev board?
So if the ARM board does the job, is the ability to interface DRAM integrated into the chip or just because of the board.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
@Leegenux - Look at the datasheet for the ARM chip regarding DRAM support. If the circuitry is on the chip, then it's the chip. If the circuitry is on the board (like higher-speed clocks), then it's the board.