Is it possible - Paper PCB

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the days of flying radio beacons hanging from helium balloons over the San Francisco Bay Area we used hand wired circuit boards made from index cards. to minimize weight. Does that count?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Nice video. However, I'm claiming BS on this one. In the very first house the guy draws he shows a lower story window using LED's and an upper story window. IF those lines he's drawing are conductive then how do you light LED's across a short circuit? I also took a closer look at what would be a button cell battery. Just above the battery are a couple wires apparently pushed through the paper from behind. Where those wires go we have no idea.

Now: Can a button cell battery drive 13 LED's? It appears as if 9 of them are in series/parallel in the upper window. The lower window appears to be 4 LED's, but I can't make out just how they're wired. As far as the video goes - I'm not buying it. I HAVE made circuits using a graphite pencil. I've made light dimmers out of wooden pencils - where you shave off the wood from one side of the pencil exposing the graphite rod. Grab a couple paper clips and clip them to the graphite on each end. Slide them together and a light gets brighter (less resistance, more current). I've taken old carbon filters apart and made giant resistors out of them as well. I put a video on YouTube of that one. I'll see if I can find it. Just for educational purposes only - I suppose.

Here's my YouTube posting on the carbon filter element used as a resistor:

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
You could draw conductive traces on paper with a CircuitWriter pen.

Nice video. However, I'm claiming BS on this one. In the very first house the guy draws he shows a lower story window using LED's and an upper story window. IF those lines he's drawing are conductive then how do you light LED's across a short circuit? I also took a closer look at what would be a button cell battery. Just above the battery are a couple wires apparently pushed through the paper from behind. Where those wires go we have no idea.

Now: Can a button cell battery drive 13 LED's? It appears as if 9 of them are in series/parallel in the upper window. The lower window appears to be 4 LED's, but I can't make out just how they're wired. As far as the video goes - I'm not buying it. I HAVE made circuits using a graphite pencil. I've made light dimmers out of wooden pencils - where you shave off the wood from one side of the pencil exposing the graphite rod. Grab a couple paper clips and clip them to the graphite on each end. Slide them together and a light gets brighter (less resistance, more current). I've taken old carbon filters apart and made giant resistors out of them as well. I put a video on YouTube of that one. I'll see if I can find it. Just for educational purposes only - I suppose.

Here's my YouTube posting on the carbon filter element used as a resistor:
ATTN: @Avijit Palit, @Jazz2C -- FWIW I concur with @Tonyr1084 -- The video is unmitigated 'horse hockey'!o_O:rolleyes: -- That said, based upon personal experience, I can attest that 'Circuit Writer' pens are both practical and quite 'handy':) -- I am, nonetheless, quite dubious of their application to power supply conductors, etc...o_O

@Jazz2C -- Might I suggest that obviation of embarrassment requires (gasp!) actual watching of videos/reading of articles prior to linking same;):p

Very best regards (and nice to see you 'moving out onto' the fora!)
HP:)