IR2233 Issue!!!

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
Hello Everyone.
I'm new in this forum
I need to use ir2233 for a project but I have a serious problem.
In a Very simple circuit There is no Signal in Gate of FETs.
I have a signal on LIN1 pin and HIN1 is always high. Amplitude of signal in LO is too low( about 0.1V).
The circuit is attached.
It's my bachelor project and I need to handle it.
Thank you.Circuit.png

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
There is no Signal in Gate of FETs.
You show a lot of unconnected pins. I'm not familiar with the IR2233 but for most MOSFET driver ICs no input pin should be left floating.
What is your "signal" on the LIN1 pin? It needs to be pulsed high and low or the bootstrap circuit won't work.
HIN1 is always high
Are you aware that the HIN and LIN pins are active low?

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
Thanks for your attentions.
Are you modulating the HIN and PIN pins correctly, something like fig. 1 in the datasheet?
But I don't know what's your mean exactly.
I connected HIN and LIN with a Resistor to Output of Optocoupler.

Welcome to AAC!

You show a lot of unconnected pins. I'm not familiar with the IR2233 but for most MOSFET driver ICs no input pin should be left floating.
I didn't used this pins and outputs in this test so I left them float.

What is your "signal" on the LIN1 pin? It needs to be pulsed high and low or the bootstrap circuit won't work.

Are you aware that the HIN and LIN pins are active low?
it's a square wave signal.
I think it's not matter in this test.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
In order to obtain a pair of output pulses on the output mosfets, a specific sequence of input pulses is required. If you know a little bit about microcontrollers, such as Arduino, this is quite simple to achieve.
...Have to ask ... does your project require a high voltage output driver such as the one shown? ... Do you require the three sets of output pins, or would one set be enough?

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
؛
In order to obtain a pair of output pulses on the output mosfets, a specific sequence of input pulses is required. If you know a little bit about microcontrollers, such as Arduino, this is quite simple to achieve.
...Have to ask ... does your project require a high voltage output driver such as the one shown? ... Do you require the three sets of output pins, or would one set be enough?
I'm trying to make a 3-phase inverter so I need all outputs

I'm making this pulse with arduino now.

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
Floating inputs can lead to the IC behaving unpredictably.

If HIN is high then the high-side driver will be switched off.
I suggest you read the IC datasheet thoroughly and make sure you understand it fully.
I connect all of them to High but nothing changed.

As I understand, with a high on HIN and signal on LIN the signal must be in LO.

I attach LIN and LO.in.pngout.png

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... not quite sure about what is the problem.
Can you measure the voltage on pin 12?
If pin 12 is low, near 0 volts, then a Fault has occurred and must be cleared before proceeding.

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
... not quite sure about what is the problem.
Can you measure the voltage on pin 12?
If pin 12 is low, near 0 volts, then a Fault has occurred and must be cleared before proceeding.
Thanks for your favors
I checked it. it's high.

I connected HIN2, HIN3, LIN2, LIN3 to ground but nothing changed.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
:confused: Your post #1 circuit indicates an input signal of 12V, but your scope shot shows the input signal is < 2V peak-to-peak. Which is it?
Can you confirm the IC has a Vcc of 12V?
Do you have decoupling caps from Vcc to Com and Vss?
Is the Flt-Clr pin floating?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Alec_t has posted some critical points above.

Tie pin FLT-CLR to at least +5 volts high.
Pin SD should be tied Low.
Pin ITRIP should also be tied Low.

The HIN and and LIN inputs require signals of at least +5 volts amplitude, which does not agree with your scope picture.

Also, place a decoupling capacitor, non-polar 0.1 uF, between Vcc and Vss pins, directly on the chip.
It would be an improvement to add decoupling capacitors directly to the 7812 regulator, similar to those in this link:
regulator decoupling

••• In order to obtain a pair of output gate pulses, the 5 volt HIN1 pin must be pulsed low, and while HIN1 is low, LIN1 is then pulsed low. There is a good illustration of this in figure 1 of the datasheet. The top two lines are the inputs. The lowest two lines are the output pulses. ( ... At the beginning of the line.)
It seems like a loop programmed in an Arduino is the most expedient way to accomplish this input sequence, if that is possible.

Try to get the first pair of outputs to work properly. HIN2,3 pins and LIN2,3 pins can be set to +5 volts until a proper response is seen in the first pair of gate outputs.

... Looking at the datasheet specifications, it appears that +12 volts can also be used as the High voltage parameter, if that is more convenient, as well as the +5 value. The Arduino output pulse amplitude will only be at a +5 volts amplitude. However, that should be sufficient to operate the HIN1 and LIN1 inputs.

Last edited:

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
Your post #1 circuit indicates an input signal of 12V, but your scope shot shows the input signal is < 2V peak-to-peak. Which is it?
Can you confirm the IC has a Vcc of 12V?
It's the scope problem. I have to sound card as scope so I check Voltages with Multi-meter.
Do you have decoupling caps from Vcc to Com and Vss?
No I don't.

Thanks for your attention.:)

Colonel

Joined May 27, 2020
Tie pin FLT-CLR to at least +5 volts high.
Pin SD should be tied Low.
Pin ITRIP should also be tied Low.

The HIN and and LIN inputs require signals of at least +5 volts amplitude, which does not agree with your scope picture.
I did it but it still doesn't work.
Also, place a decoupling capacitor, non-polar 0.1 uF, between Vcc and Vss pins, directly on the chip.
It would be an improvement to add decoupling capacitors directly to the 7812 regulator, similar to those in this link:
Good point but nothing changed in output.
... Looking at the datasheet specifications, it appears that +12 volts can also be used as the High voltage parameter, if that is more convenient, as well as the +5 value. The Arduino output pulse amplitude will only be at a +5 volts amplitude. However, that should be sufficient to operate the HIN1 and LIN1 inputs.
I thought +12v can't switch mosfet. so I use optocoupler to amplify Arduino output from +5 to +12 .And +20 is used for HV.

••• In order to obtain a pair of output gate pulses, the 5 volt HIN1 pin must be pulsed low, and while HIN1 is low, LIN1 is then pulsed low. There is a good illustration of this in figure 1 of the datasheet. The top two lines are the inputs. The lowest two lines are the output pulses. ( ... At the beginning of the line.)
It seems like a loop programmed in an Arduino is the most expedient way to accomplish this input sequence, if that is possible.
Thanks for your Helps, I changed my code and used datasheet test example. Form of output signal changed but it's amplitude is still under 0.1v.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Could the optocoupler be what is causing the problem?
Try using the Arduino outputs directly as inputs to HIN1_and LIN1. If the Arduino output pins are measured at 5 volts, the datasheet states that amplitude should be sufficient.
... There is one more detail that is frequently overlooked. The ground terminal on the Arduino board is necessarily connected to the ground terminal of the gate driver board, in order for the signals to work properly. An independent Arduino board and a separately grounded driver board are not going to work. ... So just connect a ground point on one to a ground point on the other.

Last edited: