IR2110_ Using single high side in buck converter.

lehieubk98

Joined Mar 29, 2019
I'm trying to design a buck converter (not synchronous). I use IR2110 (high side) to control the mosfet. As I know that pin VS need to connect to GND so the bootstrap capacitor can be charged. But by that way, accidentaly, in buck conveter, 2 side of the diode are short-circuit.
If I use another source for IR2110 and separate 2 GND then It's not able to send the PWM to HIN pin.
I'm confused about that. Could anyone please help me!

Attachments

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I'm trying to design a buck converter (not synchronous). I use IR2110 (high side) to control the mosfet. As I know that pin VS need to connect to GND so the bootstrap capacitor can be charged. But by that way, accidentaly, in buck conveter, 2 side of the diode are short-circuit.
If I use another source for IR2110 and separate 2 GND then It's not able to send the PWM to HIN pin.
I'm confused about that. Could anyone please help me!
I think, Pin VS connects to the Source of the MOSFET, not to GDN.

Connect the IR2110 to the MOSFET like this ...
https://i2.wp.com/microcontrollersl...C16F877A-microcontroller-and-IR2112.jpg?ssl=1

lehieubk98

Joined Mar 29, 2019
I think the circuit in that link is not gonna work, because if pin VS doesn't connect to GND so the bootstrap capacitor can't be charged.
The pin VS should connect to the both source of mosfet and GND

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The pin VS should connect to the both source of mosfet and GND
With Vs going to ground, the source output of the MOSFET is grounded, so obviously there's no output.

Vs goes only to the MOSFET source, not to ground.
The bootstrap cap then charges during the time the MOSFET is off and the source voltage goes to near ground potential because of the freewheeling diode D2.

Last edited:

lehieubk98

Joined Mar 29, 2019
Thank you guys. So it is impossible to use IR2110 with only high side to control the mosfet in buck converter. Am I correct?
I actually don't really understand how the bootstrap capacitor is charged and discharged. :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But due to the diode, the bootstrap circuit is not closed so the cap can't be charged. ??
See diagram below.

When the MOSFET turns off, the inductor current continues to flow, but now through the diode, which pulls the source (and bootstrap capacitor) to one diode drop below ground.
There is thus a low impedance path to ground (potential) for the cap at that point (a forward biased diode has a low impedance).
The bootstrap capacitor then charges to the supply voltage through the top diode.
It is thus charged so it can be applied between the gate and source to turn the MOSFET back on for the next pulse.

Make sense?
upload_2019-4-30_9-10-58.png