IR2110 making a Half-Bridge

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
I am a student learning power electronics.

Please understand that I am not good at English, so I am using Google Translator.

I'm making a Half-Bridge using IR2110.

But I'm having trouble making the circuit.

For the IR2110 input, a function generator is used to input an input of 10Vpp Offset 5V and an input of 6Vpp Offset 3V on the high side.

However, the gate driver signal is not output.

Please take a look at the Half-Bridge circuit diagram.

Please help me by attaching a photo.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Which voltages are you supplying to which pins of the IC?
How much dead time is there between the Hin and Lin signals?
What load is being driven?
Please help me by attaching a photo.
A photo of what?

Last edited:

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Welcome to AAC!
Which voltages are you supplying to which pins of the IC?
How much dead time is there between the Hin and Lin signals?
What load is being driven?

A photo of what?
I entered High Side at number 10 and Low Side at number 12.

I was going to ask about how to give dead time.

I connected 100 ohms between the emitter and collector of the half-bridge.

That picture is a circuit I made on a breadboard.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I referenced the circuit from the Tahmid's blog.
Please post a link to this.
I entered High Side at number 10 and Low Side at number 12.
Which of your 10V and 6V sources did you use for Hin and Lin?
What voltages are on the Vdd and Vcc pins?
How much current can the Vcc source provide?
I connected 100 ohms between the emitter and collector of the half-bridge.
? MOSFETs don't have emitters and collectors.

Please provide a schematic of your circuit, marked up with the voltages at the appropriate inputs.
To post a picture here you can use copy-and-paste, or use the "Attach files" button.

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Please post a link to this.

Which of your 10V and 6V sources did you use for Hin and Lin?
What voltages are on the Vdd and Vcc pins?
How much current can the Vcc source provide?

? MOSFETs don't have emitters and collectors.

Please provide a schematic of your circuit, marked up with the voltages at the appropriate inputs.
To post a picture here you can use copy-and-paste, or use the "Attach files" button.
I gave a square wave of 10Vpp, Offset 5V to Hin pin 10, and a square wave of 6Vpp, Offset 3V to Lin pin 12.

Vdd applied a voltage of 5V through LM7805, and Vcc applied a voltage of 18V.

It was difficult to measure current with that scope, so current could not be measured.

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to drive Half-Bridge using the G4PC4OUD chip, an IGBT device.

The address posted by Mr.MaxHeadRoom is correct, and I am uploading the schematiccircuit.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
I gave a square wave of 10Vpp, Offset 5V to Hin pin 10, and a square wave of 6Vpp, Offset 3V to Lin pin 12.

Vdd applied a voltage of 5V through LM7805, and Vcc applied a voltage of 18V.

It was difficult to measure current with that scope, so current could not be measured.

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to drive Half-Bridge using the G4PC4OUD chip, an IGBT device.

The address posted by Mr.MaxHeadRoom is correct, and I am uploading the schematiccircuit.

Thanks for your help
You only need to drive HIN and LIN with the same levels as VDD, i.e. TTL input voltages, not your strange offset voltages. You may have damaged the I.C. doing that!

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
You only need to drive HIN and LIN with the same levels as VDD, i.e. TTL input voltages, not your strange offset voltages. You may have damaged the I.C. doing that!
So since the VDD voltage is 5V, does this mean that the 5V pulse waveform should be used as the input waveform for High in and Low in?

I will take a picture of the waveform in the lab and upload it later, so please take a look at the input waveform.

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
So since the VDD voltage is 5V, does this mean that the 5V pulse waveform should be used as the input waveform for High in and Low in?

I will take a picture of the waveform in the lab and upload it later, so please take a look at the input waveform.
Yes.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
does this mean that the 5V pulse waveform should be used as the input waveform for High in and Low in?
Hin and Lin pulses must not both be logic high at the same time, as that will result in 'shooot-through', i.e. a short-circuit through the drain and source paths of both FETs.

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Hin and Lin pulses must not both be logic high at the same time, as that will result in 'shooot-through', i.e. a short-circuit through the drain and source paths of both FETs.
sorry. I think I misunderstood the input signal.

I drew the input signal using Powerpoint.
In the picture, it is assumed that red is high input and green is low input.

Are you saying that the input signal that Mr. Alec_t and Mr. scottsman mentioned should be included as shown in the photo?

Attachments

mokpo

Joined Oct 30, 2023
when V5 is high V4 has to be low and the dead time is the time INBETWEEN toggling!
I don't understand gate drivers.

If I input the same pulse waveform, wouldn't the IR2110 chip convert it and convert one pulse to high and the other pulse to low at the IGBT gate through the gate driver output?

Maglatron

Joined Nov 3, 2023
No this confused me too. you pulse BOTH the (HIN) AND (LIN) with high (5v) pulses alternatly with dead time of 1us! to avoid "shoot through"