IR infra red frequency convertor

flipper2222222

Joined Dec 2, 2020
hi everyone,

not sure if this is even possible, maybe someone knows of a way.

I have a IR blaster that sends at 38kHz and a device that has a 37kHz infra red system.

is there a IR convertor \ relay that can make the receiving device (cable set top box) accept the commands of the sending device?

thanks in advance

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
hi everyone,

I have a IR blaster that sends at 38kHz and a device that has a 37kHz infra red system.

is there a IR convertor \ relay that can make the receiving device (cable set top box) accept the commands of the sending device?

thanks in advance
That depends on the bandwidth of the receiver's input filter. For example it might accept any carrier frequency that satisfies 37 kHh±2kHz so no conversion is necessary. Time to pour over the datasheets.

flipper2222222

Joined Dec 2, 2020
That depends on the bandwidth of the receiver's input filter. For example it might accept any carrier frequency that satisfies 37 kHh±2kHz so no conversion is necessary. Time to pour over the datasheets.

I have been told that the set to box is 37 kHh ±1kHz , but I have also had reports that direct IR send does not work. hence why I am looking at a converter.

the cable box provider does not send manuals out and couldn't find much on the internet for this model

Pace MS6505NF

do you know if there actually any devices out there that do IR conversions like I am wanting?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have been told that the set to box is 37 kHh ±1kHz , but I have also had reports that direct IR send does not work. hence why I am looking at a converter.

the cable box provider does not send manuals out and couldn't find much on the internet for this model

Pace MS6505NF

do you know if there actually any devices out there that do IR conversions like I am wanting?
I have not heard of such a thing. It would be easier to build your own remote from a standard platform and you could nail the 37 kHz carrier frequency dead nuts.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
https://www.ibroadlink.com/products/ir+rf

this product can be controlled by an iPhone App from the internet.

I have not found another that can do the same.

if I build my own remote I still won't be able to control from the internet.

any ideas on where I would start to build an IR converter?
So how exactly would such a device work? Words are not sufficient to convey what you have in mind. could you provide a block diagram perhaps?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Replace the IR receiver with one that matches the carrier?

It should still work if the signal strength is high- 1 kHz off should not matter unless it's really weak.

This video shows how the units respond to changing carrier frequencies:

hi everyone,

thanks in advance
Goodmorning...
I went through some checkings and i will like you to chech on this link,i found relevant data that will surely help you in your demand...

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 222,
Are you sure that the three units use the same Coding for function control.?
You could create a module for 38Khz IR to 37kHz IR, but if the instruction coding is different it will not work.
E
http://irdb.tk/find/

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Given the typical cheap construction of remotes, it is not likely that the frequency is the issue. Most cable companies do what they can to assure that only their products will work with their systems. So it is quite likely that the commands are different, and possibly even encrypted. If you are able to alter the clock frequency of your "IR Blaster" by lowering it just a bit that could solve your problem.
But the first suggestion is that you build a simple IR receiver so that you can observe the data strings with a scope or a computer adapter. Then you will be able to understand exactly what the difference is.

And which product can be controlled by an Iphone app over the internet? And what advantage would that be???

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As others have said, that difference in modulation frequency may not make a difference. Here is a graph from Vishay ( https://www.vishay.com/docs/82489/tsop322.pdf ):
1606996546853.png

\(f{_0}\) is 37 kHz and f is 38 kHz. 3 dB is about 1/2 sensitivity. At 37 kHz that range is 3.7 kHz. You are well within that . Of course, your device claims a narrower bandwidth, but there is no datasheet to confirm that claim.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 222,
I built and programmed an Arduino Nano, to Receive and decode the outputs from my IR remote controls
In receive mode it displays and saves the Maker of the code and the code sequence for a pushed remote button.
There are libs for the Ardunio to be used in this way.

In transmit, I use a displayed remote control image on my desk laptop to send the selected command to the devices.
Created using Visual Basic 6
Added extra features, my favourite one, is the mute sound during the commercial breaks, also it can turn On/Off a device at a specified time.

E

Attachments

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
hi 222,
I built and programmed an Arduino Nano, to Receive and decode the outputs from my IR remote controls
In receive mode it displays and saves the Maker of the code and the code sequence for a pushed remote button.
There are libs for the Ardunio to be used in this way.

In transmit, I use a displayed remote control image on my desk laptop to send the selected command to the devices.
Created using Visual Basic 6
Added extra features, my favourite one, is the mute sound during the commercial breaks, also it can turn On/Off a device at a specified time.

awesome indeed. Perhaps such a package could help the TS.
[/QUO

flipper2222222

Joined Dec 2, 2020
hi 222,
Are you sure that the three units use the same Coding for function control.?
You could create a module for 38Khz IR to 37kHz IR, but if the instruction coding is different it will not work.
E
http://irdb.tk/find/
I am not sure ericgibbs , the set top provider won't supply data sheets or manuals, The BroadLink device is very much consumer based and their technical support won't supply any more than basics.
the broad link device is supposed to learn the commands from the original remote. I don't have either device yet, I am using some legacy systems that are working (slingbox and IQ2 set top box) and am doing as much research as possible so I don't end up with a non working solution.

thanks for the link, Foxtel is listed, but codes are not confirmed for all models.

when you say create a module, can you please direct me to more information on this topic

thanks a lot !

flipper2222222

Joined Dec 2, 2020
Given the typical cheap construction of remotes, it is not likely that the frequency is the issue. Most cable companies do what they can to assure that only their products will work with their systems. So it is quite likely that the commands are different, and possibly even encrypted. If you are able to alter the clock frequency of your "IR Blaster" by lowering it just a bit that could solve your problem.
But the first suggestion is that you build a simple IR receiver so that you can observe the data strings with a scope or a computer adapter. Then you will be able to understand exactly what the difference is.

And which product can be controlled by an Iphone app over the internet? And what advantage would that be???
G'day MisterBill2,
thanks for your suggestion.
this product https://www.ibroadlink.com/products/ir+rf
can control devices over the internet. I would be using it to view recordings on my cable box from remote locations. Currently I use a slingbox, but Sling Media is turning off their servers and the device will become a brick.
there are other solutions for streaming the video and audio, but the controlling the set top box remotely is proving to be a challenge to solve.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Do you OWN that Sling Mwdiaset top box? Or just lease it? Because there are a lot of options if you own it. If you own the box then you can open it and add external isolated controls o duplicate the push button functions, which might allow making itgo what you seek. If you are only leasing it that is not an option, usually.
Also, it may be possible to trace out the data bus inside the box and patch in a digital output from your computer. Actually, using a computer to capture the exact command seuence from the remote would allow you to save a play that sequence from a computer file. That may be the way to go.

flipper2222222

Joined Dec 2, 2020
Do you OWN that Sling Mwdiaset top box? Or just lease it? Because there are a lot of options if you own it. If you own the box then you can open it and add external isolated controls o duplicate the push button functions, which might allow making itgo what you seek. If you are only leasing it that is not an option, usually.
Also, it may be possible to trace out the data bus inside the box and patch in a digital output from your computer. Actually, using a computer to capture the exact command seuence from the remote would allow you to save a play that sequence from a computer file. That may be the way to go.
I own a slingbox not a sling media set to box, I am in Australia, Sling Media TV is on for North America.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, then since you own it you can open it.
But I do suggest using an IR sensor and recording the commands from the remote that you want to duplicate or emulate. You may need to create a translator.