Inverter dc to ac

perik123

Joined Nov 9, 2019
I want to controll electronics made for AC with DC. In the specs it says 60 volt AC and 5W. Is it possible to use an inverter and translating 60 vdc to 60 vac? Or how can I calculate this? My idea is to simply put an inverter between but since I am pretty new to AC I am not sure if it would be that simple. So for example if I lower the vdc will that also lower the ac in a linear way?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What is the device you want to run, and what is the DC power supply you have?
60VAC, that is an odd input voltage.
But, yes. You can use an inverter. It should not be to hard to modify a 12V to 120V inverter for 60V, but really, more info please.
and "So for example if I lower the vdc will that also lower the ac in a linear way?", that depends on your inverter circuit.

perik123

Joined Nov 9, 2019
It is so called smart glass, glass that dims depended on the input voltage. Something like this
Yes I know. It is a bit odd witth 60VAC. The thing is I want to be able to regulate the voltage between 0-60vac. First I thought it all was DC so my idea was to use mosfets for controlling the vdc but it seems to be vac. Im not that used to ac but would it be possible to use my vdc to output VAC with an inverter in between? So for example if i fade my vdc between some VDC values and output VAC between 0-60VAC.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
At that power level, (5 watt/m²), you may try an 12V audio amp driving a transformer. Drive the amp with a 50 or 60Hz oscillator and adjust the volume control to give the required 60VAC out.
But, do you not have mains voltage available to use the supplied transformer?
Why do you say a 60VDC input?
And it may not be an idea to vary the voltage to the glass. Check if it will be damaged by low voltage input before you try that.
That said, it may be ok. I do not know.
But if it works, an audio amp driving the transformer will allow you to vary it. Preset the amp input signal so that max volume on the map is the 60VAC out of the transformer so you do not go over voltage.
You could probably use a 12V to 110V transformer on the amp output. Some testing will be needed.

perik123

Joined Nov 9, 2019
Why do you say a 60VDC input?
since I wanted to controll the dc with mosfets controlled by arduino. But then I found out it was VAC so was thinking if it was possible to just convert it into vac. But I understand I dont need that strong voltage.

Stupid question but what will happen if I actually would feed it with 60 vdc without inverter instead of the vac?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
DC will kill the liquid crystal. It needs to be AC as far as I know. And well balanced symmetrical AC to prevent degrading of the liquid crystal as far as I know.

You could generate the AC signal with the Arduino, or control the level of an external AC signal. There are many ways to do it.

perik123

Joined Nov 9, 2019
You could generate the AC signal with the Arduino, or control the level of an external AC signal. There are many ways to do it.
Yes that is basically what I want to do. Maybe using an relay for doing this but it cannot be driven på PWM. Maybe if I use something like this