Internet Privacy Repeal, For or Against?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This repeals one of Barack Obama's orders which was due to go into effect in the near future. In other words, it merely prevents a change in the status quo. It does nothing.

Correction: This is an FCC rule that would have gone into effect, not an executive order.

"...The FCC regulations would have required broadband companies to get permission from their customers in order to use their “sensitive” data..."

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The FCC Rule from Nov 2016 ... https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-16-148A1.pdf note the effective date of the rule.
The FCC's fact sheet ... https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-341938A1.pdf

on edit ... fixed links

A client's advisory shortly thereafter ... http://www.commlawmonitor.com/2016/...nt-advisory-the-fccs-broadband-privacy-order/

The CRA, I haven't seen yet ....

A client's advisory shortly after the CRA ...
http://www.kelleydrye.com/News-Even...ess-Repeals-FCC-2016-Privacy-Order-via-Congre

Did the CRA stop the whole rule or portions thereof?

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'll check it out when I get home. I copied and pasted the addresses.

links fixed.

I did copy the addresses from another forum response I wrote ... so, the periods in the link caused the failure. Silly me.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi again,

Joe thanks for the links. Lot to read though, is there any way you can summarize?

What i saw upset me because i am seeing the same thing over and over again now, and that is that whoever decides this kind of thing seems to have some rinky dink excuse. This time it was something like "everybody else is doing it anyway". That, instead of trying to fix the "everybody else" who's already doing it.

What is strange though is that a company is allowed to 'follow' you on the web, with your surfing? That is called stalking in real life. That's where someone follows you in order to gain information about you such as where you live, where you shop, etc., and there can be an even more devious reason.

What i noticed a while back was two main things:
1. After i would go looking for a product such as a power supply, the next day i would see "power supplies for sale" in my email account main folder.
2. After same search, i would start to see advertisements in my web browser with power supplies for sale in same place i went to look originally (same online store).

This is a little bit alarming. On the one hand it can help me find a power supply because i was looking for that anyway, but on the other hand what other information are they getting out of this? Do i really want them all to know what kind of products i am looking for?

The secondary part of this may not be harmful in any way, but it is very annoying. That is getting ads that target the same product i was looking for BUT i have ALREADY purchased!
This is the nuttiest part, but i have to say a little comical too. I have been getting Ads in my browser at various times that ask me to buy a TV, the very same one i bought a few months ago! Same make and model, from the SAME online store i actually bought it from! That's strange and funny t the same time :)

But the real question i guess here is, should we try to do anything about this? If there was a way to stop this, should we try to do it? There may not be a way to stop it right now, but there are ways to make it much less effective for them to do this in the first place, but i was wondering how many people would want to stop this and be willing to do a little extra work to throw a wrench in the works to make it less effective for the companies doing this.

Sorry i didnt think to add a poll to the thread when first created. I dont know if there is a way to do this now.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In essence, the FCC wanted to define BIAS as telecommunications so they could regulate it under the communications act of 1934 as amended. This was the first link.

FTC has regulations for trade.

Title 2USC defines Personal information and protected personal info.

This is funny with all the commotion over a ruling that hasn't been in effect for 1 attoseconds.

Why was it even reported on?
I doubt it ever made the federal register.
You can't lose something you never had.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Oh yeah,

I get ads for things I've searched for.

Broaden your horizons ... Mix some CFR and USC in your searches.

They want to provide you with revealent ads ... Confuse the hell out of them. My delete function works fine.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Oh yeah,

I get ads for things I've searched for.

Broaden your horizons ... Mix some CFR and USC in your searches.

They want to provide you with revealent ads ... Confuse the hell out of them. My delete function works fine.
Nice, but, what do I delete?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Using the Internet is like driving on a public highway. Anyone can follow you wherever you go whether you like it or not, and regardless of the law.

If you are not comfortable with that, get off the Internet or use Tor.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
And, in your mind, that deletes everything your ISP is saving so they can help you see better advertisements?
Good point but "everything your ISP is saving" is what goes to the NSA.
I consider that to be much more nefarious than ad tracking.

ps, I seem to be doing very well avoiding targeted ads. Maybe it's because I don't use Google or Yahoo or Gmail.
Point is, avoiding the most obvious offenders might help.
I also tell Firefox not to remember or suggest anything and I use CCleaner to wipe my history, cookies, and a bunch of other stuff every time I close the Browser.

Or maybe it's Adblocker Ultimate or uBlock Origin that makes my Internet activity less annoying.
I still can't block avatars that are like visual fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe that's why I appreciate yours so much.:D

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hi again,

Joe thanks for the links. Lot to read though, is there any way you can summarize?

What i saw upset me because i am seeing the same thing over and over again now, and that is that whoever decides this kind of thing seems to have some rinky dink excuse. This time it was something like "everybody else is doing it anyway". That, instead of trying to fix the "everybody else" who's already doing it.

What is strange though is that a company is allowed to 'follow' you on the web, with your surfing? That is called stalking in real life. That's where someone follows you in order to gain information about you such as where you live, where you shop, etc., and there can be an even more devious reason.

What i noticed a while back was two main things:
1. After i would go looking for a product such as a power supply, the next day i would see "power supplies for sale" in my email account main folder.
2. After same search, i would start to see advertisements in my web browser with power supplies for sale in same place i went to look originally (same online store).

This is a little bit alarming. On the one hand it can help me find a power supply because i was looking for that anyway, but on the other hand what other information are they getting out of this? Do i really want them all to know what kind of products i am looking for?

The secondary part of this may not be harmful in any way, but it is very annoying. That is getting ads that target the same product i was looking for BUT i have ALREADY purchased!
This is the nuttiest part, but i have to say a little comical too. I have been getting Ads in my browser at various times that ask me to buy a TV, the very same one i bought a few months ago! Same make and model, from the SAME online store i actually bought it from! That's strange and funny t the same time :)

But the real question i guess here is, should we try to do anything about this? If there was a way to stop this, should we try to do it? There may not be a way to stop it right now, but there are ways to make it much less effective for them to do this in the first place, but i was wondering how many people would want to stop this and be willing to do a little extra work to throw a wrench in the works to make it less effective for the companies doing this.

Sorry i didnt think to add a poll to the thread when first created. I dont know if there is a way to do this now.
As I understand it, it would have prevented your ISP from selling your internet usage. This is how Google and the other search engines make money. I use Google so I see stuff like this:
upload_2017-4-6_18-50-4.png
This one is probably because I went to Mouser to look at some parts. Never bought anything from Newark.
I think the thing that bothers people about this one is that the ISP sees everything you do. Not just searches.
I usually ask myself how this will make my life better. Can't see that in this one. :(
I'm not even sure why they went to the trouble to cancel what was going to happen. Maybe just anti-regulation.