Interesting and timely article given recent events on college campuses.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think it is a combination of external orchestration and clueless people hopping on bandwagons and feeling like they got "left out" of prior protests and want to feel "relevant".

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think the boredness is the key in the fall of the civilization. It lets people stop thinking about basic needs, and lets their imagination go wild. Mostly they become SJWs - Social Justice Warriors, or other variations on the same theme. Their goal is to find any aspects of the world that are not perfect according to their narrow vision of the world, and do whatever they can to improve it in the way they think is the best. Very much in the way of "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
They want the world to be easier for each and every one, and the only thing that comes out of this collective do-goodery is flushing the civilization down the sh** hole of political corectness and self censorship.

When I was reading through this thread, I thought "poor america, their society is going really downhill", but towards the fourth page it occured to me that it is only a matter of time when the same things will start to happen on the other side of the Atlantic. I really do start to wonder what´s the world gonna be like in thirty years.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
the demands http://www.thedemands.org

"the closing of american mind" was written in 1987

I am still struggling to understand what white privilege is. The people in these protests are in these elite schools because of affirmative action. Do they feel good about themselves? I would never be able to live with myself knowing that I was given a handout.

History is being rewritten to suit their purposes, only they have no clue what history was since apparently even Mark Twain is offensive. There is not much more to say. I would hope there is no long lasting impact, but chances are slim

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We wondered many of the same things during the cold war and in the aftermath of our involvement in Vietnam. In most cases I have no residual longing for the America that was. Although we have evolved in some respects, some of the uglier aspects of our past are still with us. As long as the death rate from mass shootings by white nutjobs continues to outstrip the deaths from terrorism, I'm going to stop worrying about terrorists.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We wondered many of the same things during the cold war and in the aftermath of our involvement in Vietnam. In most cases I have no residual longing for the America that was. Although we have evolved in some respects, some of the uglier aspects of our past are still with us. As long as the death rate from mass shootings by white nutjobs continues to outstrip the deaths from terrorism, I'm going to stop worrying about terrorists.
So, in the last twenty years, how many deaths have there been in mass shootings by white nutjobs?

How many deaths have there been from terrorism?

And why don't you care about deaths from mass shootings by non-white nutjobs? Or deaths from mass killings other than shootings?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
......... As long as the death rate from mass shootings by white nutjobs continues to outstrip the deaths from terrorism, I'm going to stop worrying about terrorists.
Look at the number of people who die from diseases acquired from their hospital stay or miss prescribed medications and you really won't care about terrorism or nut-jobs. The rest of this post I deleted so as to not go off on a tangent.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
When I was reading through this thread, I thought "poor america, their society is going really downhill", but towards the fourth page it occured to me that it is only a matter of time when the same things will start to happen on the other side of the Atlantic. I really do start to wonder what´s the world gonna be like in thirty years.
I went back to college in 2011 and I can say that the stories I'm hearing from America hasn't really affected our teenagers in the same extreme, yet!.. There is some PC but mostly just like I was when I went to study in my teen years. But...It has already begun from kindergarten and up to high school and then it starts again at university level.

One thing i must add is the difference between our school system and the American one and it's the difference in age when we finish high school and start college. We start college at 16 years old and go to uni when we are 20. So what you call high school and we call college, overlaps.

When I got 16 years old. I had the right and could move away from home, work 20 our a day if I wanted to, stay up all night, etc. Pretty much anything legal except buy alcohol(20) and drive a car(17) and if your parents were a PITA or you were a threat to yourself they could have control over your finances(18).

About 20 years ago the age for the rights I got at 16 has become 18...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
About 20 years ago the age for the rights I got at 16 has become 18...
We have the same trend here -- not too long ago you could get a pilot's license at 16 and you could get a sailplane (i.e., glider) license at 14. Now it's 17 and 16 and that's only because the aviation community was able to rally a decade or so ago and defeat an attempt to make it 21 (it probably would have ended up at 18). In many states you used to be able to get a driver's license at 14 (often times that required that you live on a working farm or ranch). When I got mine you got full privileges the day you got your license at 16. Now there are only four states that issue unrestricted licenses at 16, seventeen states don't do so until age 18, and one state doesn't until age 21.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy -- we coddle the kids and protect them from the consequences of their actions from an early age (such as requiring that they wear pads and helmets for just about anything they do) and then we are surprised that they never learn responsible risk assessment before getting behind the wheel of a couple tons of Detroit iron. So we coddle them some more and increase the age limit at which we will let them do that, which just further retards the rate at which they learn responsible risk assessment. Not long ago official action was taken against a family whose eight year old kid walked a couple miles to school one day. Hell, I was walking a mile to school every day when I was in kindergarten (age five). Most kids that didn't live far enough for the bus routes walked and the bus limit was roughly two miles for most schools. But today it's considered child endangerment if your kid walks more than a couple blocks to school.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So, in the last twenty years, how many deaths have there been in mass shootings by white nutjobs?

And why don't you care about deaths from mass shootings by non-white nutjobs? Or deaths from mass killings other than shootings?
Because they are small fractions of the major causes.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Because they are small fractions of the major causes.
And yet they are overrepresented (talking about U.S. only) -- there are disproportionately MORE black and, especially, Asian mass murderers than there are white. Whites are pretty much right at the same proportion as their population overall. Latinos are significantly underrepresented (about half the rate). Furthermore, the worst mass killings have NOT been in the U.S. and many of the worst such killings did not involve firearms either mainly or at all. In fact, by far the deadliest mass killings have been carried out by fire or by causing airliners to crash or other public transportation disasters.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

Interesting question.....
Since 1982
599 killed, 543 injured
asians 6, Blacks 11, Latino 4, mixed 1, native american 3, other 2 unknown 1, white 46. 71 were male.
Hard to tell for sure, but about 32 killed and 53 injured by terrorist shootings. Of course most of those didn't start until after the Iraq war.
If I can remember my pivot tables I'll play with the database some more.
Edit:
Statistically they are pretty much in line with the population except for the latinos.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Interesting question.....
Since 1982
599 killed, 543 injured
asians 6, Blacks 11, Latino 4, mixed 1, native american 3, other 2 unknown 1, white 46. 71 were male.
Hard to tell for sure, but about 32 killed and 53 injured by terrorist shootings. Of course most of those didn't start until after the Iraq war.
If I can remember my pivot tables I'll play with the database some more.
Edit:
Statistically they are pretty much in line with the population except for the latinos.
It's so reassuring to know that number of people killed by terrorists by means other than shootings are so small as to be ignored altogether.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
@ronv I think those numbers underestimate the totals. In 2015 alone there have been more mass shootings (four or more killed or wounded) than days in the year so far.

http://www.shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015
Yes, I guess it depends on the definition of mass shooting. I think the FBI uses 4 dead and your source 4 dead or injured.
The latter would certainly reduce the terror shootings and increase the black numbers @WBahn speaks of.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And why is a person more dead if they are killed along with at least three other people than if they are killed one-on-one?

How many people were shot to death (since no other form of killing apparently rises to significance) by white people and how many people were shot to death by black people. Since the white population is about 63% of the total and the black population is about 13% of the total, then you would expect somewhere just under five times as many murders committed by whites than by blacks.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Careful guys, you're bordering on bigotry.
Using statistics to highlight disproportionate crime rates between races, well, that's racist.

At this point, white guilt should compel you to retake any workplace sensitivity training that may be offered through your HR department.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
At this point, white guilt should compel you to retake any workplace sensitivity training that may be offered through your HR department.
Not just white guilt. It's collective white guilt: remember, we're all responsible for any discriminatory acts, utterances or thoughts any white individual commits or has ever committed, going all the way back to the beginning of time.

</sarcasm>

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Careful guys, you're bordering on bigotry.
Using statistics to highlight disproportionate crime rates between races, well, that's racist.

I have never been convinced that HR department offerings were necessarily in my best interest. Team building exercises were the absolute worst waste of time ever.