Intelligent design

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No it means "treat them how you want to be treated."
That sounds about right.
Question....What I wanted to treat some one rough and nasty. Surely that does not mean I wanted the same. :p

Well then what's the point of religion? LOL :D
Everyone has different points of views when it comes to religion. :)
You and I are very different when it comes to religion my friend.
Yet, we have a lot in common. I believe. :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That sounds about right.
Question....What I wanted to treat some one rough and nasty. Surely that does not mean I wanted the same. :p

Everyone has different points of views when it comes to religion. :)
You and I are very different when it comes to religion my friend.
Yet, we have a lot in common. I believe. :)
True story. You remember our PMs about your religion? I just went back in time to find them. 31OCT2011! That was a long time ago; I did not think it was so long ago. I am glad we can have pleasant discussion then and now, even with fundamentally different views. We are very similar otherwise.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
True story. You remember our PMs about your religion? I just went back in time to find them. 31OCT2011! That was a long time ago; I did not think it was so long ago. I am glad we can have pleasant discussion then and now, even with fundamentally different views. We are very similar otherwise.
The thing that everyone keeps forgetting I think is that we are all living beings. Living beings need shelter, food and love to survive...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I think most people have a moral code, whether or not it is grounded in religion. I think most people can agree on "The Golden Rule" - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. .
I have seen anthropological studies and test done on a races of people living a primitive life style that posses no deep religion in the accepted sense.
They all displayed a moral code of some kind, which I personally agree that it is inherent. Also seen in our closest relatives, the apes.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well then what's the point of religion? LOL :D
Self absolvement of personal guilt and or justification for acting in some way you feel is warranted when in fact it was likely not.

"I'm not a bad person. The devil made me do it/God compelled me to do it for the greater good."

Those sort of crap excuses for selfish and all around bad behavior we are suposed to know better than to do yet by our own biological and ingrained drives that don't always produce actions we can be proud of.

The rest is just a money, power, and influence game.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One of my interests regarding religion is following the documentaries on the discovering the truth of religious text by virtue of anthropological, archaeological, and historical investigations.
I even found out there could be a remote chance I am distantly related to J.C.:cool:
The man that took delivery of his body was said to be a relative of Mary, Joseph of Arithamea, supposidly a very rich man, the one who paid Pontius Pilate a kick back to take the body down early and take delivery of it.
Who after a short period left for and lived the rest of his life in Glastonbury England, where he was buried.
Glastonbury is not far from where I grew up and my DNA results show I am 1% Jewish!:D
Max.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Next time you make a statement this bold and daring, make sure that you include beer in the list... :D
Well, drink should be included in
One of my interests regarding religion is following the documentaries on the discovering the truth of religious text by virtue of anthropological, archaeological, and historical investigations.
I even found out there could be a remote chance I am distantly related to J.C.:cool:
The man that took delivery of his body was said to be a relative of Mary, Joseph of Arithamea, supposidly a very rich man, the one who paid Pontius Pilate a kick back to take the body down early and take delivery of it.
Who after a short period left for and lived the rest of his life in Glastonbury England, where he was buried.
Glastonbury is not far from where I grew up and my DNA results show I am 1% Jewish!:D
Max.
Which 1%

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/dueling-claims-on-crime-trend/

I'm not sure if crime coincides with what you consider "evil," but if so, crime has dropped significantly in the past decade+.

I'm glad you brought up abortion; it's another of the things in my list that confound the Golden Rule.
It has come to normalcy in a way that pedophilia hopefully never will.
While some evil things are crimes they don't always need to be. There are many ways to evil, again just my view.

And while abortion, and homosexuality seem like they have been a "recent" invention, they're not. Abortion and birth control have been with humanity for a very, very long time. Midwives and shamans along with village/tribal healers have had that covered since the beginning. And just read the old testament to see about homosexuals.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If the "soul" (whatever that means) is unprovable, how did you determine:
1) that it exists
2) that there were only "X" number of them
3) that some people are born without this undefined unprovable thing

And your evidence for reincarnation?
Did you miss my last two sentences? "The unprovable 'soul' is what keeps us from being 'evil'. Again just my take on this." Very little in this whole thread is 'provable'. That said there is no evidence that both are not provable either. Thought the purpose of this thread was expression of what we think?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
While some evil things are crimes they don't always need to be. There are many ways to evil, again just my view.

And while abortion, and homosexuality seem like they have been a "recent" invention, they're not. Abortion and birth control have been with humanity for a very, very long time. Midwives and shamans along with village/tribal healers have had that covered since the beginning. And just read the old testament to see about homosexuals.
On a positive note, slavery is at an all-time low.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Huh? How did you come to that conclusion while oligarchy is at an all time high?
When I say slavery I'm picturing people being bought and sold as if they were physical Goods. I looked up the definition of oligarchy and it did not seem to fit.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When I say slavery I'm picturing people being bought and sold as if they were physical Goods. I looked up the definition of oligarchy and it did not seem to fit.
When you consider that the average worker is in debt way over his/her head and is compelled to go to work for rapidly diminishing wages just to put food on the table and shelter over his/her family's heads, I call that slavery.