Inductor Without Ferrite Core

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by daisaece, Feb 21, 2017.

1. daisaece

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 21, 2017
    How do I know if I need to use a specific core material for an inductor? I need to make a 40 microHenry inductor for our project in school. Our teacher said we can make one using ferrite core, 2 inch length, .5 inch diamter with 120 turns of #20 magnet wire. Unfortunately, we cannot find ferrite core. I saw some articles online about Air-core inductors (using plastic for winding). Can I not use ferrite core for this inductor? Will I have any problem with permeability? Thanks in advance!

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Welcome to AAC

You can insert a ferrite into an air core one and turn it into a ferrite core one somewhat. Air gap will vary the inductance I think.
    In Ferrite core ones, the coil is wound onto the core so it would not be loose.

You teacher gave you the requirements. I suggest you stick with it.

3. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    You can make a 40uH air cored coil by close winding 240 turns of #20 wire on a 0.5" former. But it sounds like that is not what is required.

4. daisaece

Feb 21, 2017
    What do you mean by "it sound like that is not what required"? Thank you!

5. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    Because you are asked to wind it on a ferrite core.

6. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    ---Emphasis added---

It is unclear whether the underscored text (above) is a stipulation or merely a suggestion?...

Best regards
    HP

8. daisaece

Feb 21, 2017
    Thank you for answering. For me, I think it was more of a suggestion. The only specs that we have to follow is the inductor being 40microHenry. :)))) Do you know the difference of air-cored and ferrite-cored conductor?

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The air core inductor will require more turns than one on a ferrite or iron-powder core.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  10. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    A ferrite core will permit achievement of the desired inductance with fewer turns but at the 'cost' of hysteresis losses and liability to saturation - Hence appropriate core selection (i.e. material and cross-section) will properly be with regard to operating frequency and current (respectively)...

Please be advised that toroidal cores offer advantages in the ways of compactness and 'self-shielding'...

Please note that the resource linked in (post #6) features several core forms (including toroids and solenoids) available in a large variety of materials...

Best regards and good luck!
    HP:)

Disclaimer -- I am not, in any way, associated with Amidon! -- That said; It is my strongly held opinion that their policy of comprehensive applications documentation distinguishes them as the 'go to' supplier for new design!:)

11. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It's Amidon HP, Amidon

http://www.amidoncorp.com/

12. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Corrected!:oops: - many thanks for the 'heads up':)

Very best regards
    HP:)

13. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    'saright. Homophones can be hard to spell correctly from just hearing the word.

14. daisaece

Feb 21, 2017
    Thank you!

15. daisaece

Feb 21, 2017
  16. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    In all this thread, the TS failed to inform the group as to the use of the inductor (other than "our project"). The type of inductor is very much dependent on the application of the inductor. There are more parameters of an inductor than just the inductance - you need to stipulate all of them.