Inductance without using inductor

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that they simulate inductance for small signal applications, like filters, but do not simulate the energy storage capability of a real inductor.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Sure it depends on these things, just as the voltage of a power supply depends on the load. In theory it shouldn't, but in reality it does because the gas supply has an effective impedance (the valve only opens so far and the gas passage is only so big) and the line and meters have an impedance.
As you and Dick have noted if you want an alternative to the energy storage capacity of inductive magnetisem, you could always electrically drive a flywheel, connected to a generator, or heat a kettle, connected to a turbine-generator.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
As you and Dick have noted if you want an alternative to the energy storage capacity of inductive magnetisem, you could always electrically drive a flywheel, connected to a generator, or heat a kettle, connected to a turbine-generator.
Somewhere I read that in one country they sealed up an abandoned salt mine and used surplus energy to fill it with compressed air. When there was no surplus, the compressed air was released into generator turbines.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
How did we go from simulated inductors to high energy storage? :confused:
Did someone get on the wrong thread?
You pointed out that the gyrator circuit doesn't store energy like a real inductor.

I think the artificial inductor can be as simple as a single bipolar transistor, a capacitor and a few resistors - I've seen those in one or two guitar pedal schematics.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You pointed out that the gyrator circuit doesn't store energy like a real inductor.
Well I was thinking more along the lines of the mJ of stored energy in a switching regulator inductor, not the MJ of energy needed for energy grid storage. :rolleyes: