indispensable tools :D

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's basically impossible to work in a raw metal shed in Florida in the summer, so, air conditioning, especially when you get a discarded one for free while installing central air conditioning.
I work in a somewhat better insulated building in Alabama without air conditioning. I have a small unit but don't use it. Instead, I have a big-ass fan that blows up a torrent which I place next to the roll-up door. That gets me through all but the hottest of days.

I am often welding (I'm a frustrated metal worker) and so I need the shop to be open most of the time. The only problem with that is keeping mosquitos out.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
My shop is a basement/garage. Whenever I weld I have to drag everything outside into the carport, where the fumes don't rise up into the house.
I could tack weld one little thing, when nobody is home, and hear about " that nasty welding downstairs":rolleyes::rolleyes:

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
The only problem with that is keeping mosquitos out.
We don't really have trouble with those in the UK but what about using some sort of screen? You know the mesh kind of stuff that you get on windows and door sometimes? That should keep them out. If not I like those fly zapper things that glow! :p

" that nasty welding downstairs":rolleyes::rolleyes:
Haha, Apart from the fact that I don't know you I can just imagine that situation! :D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Not to off-topic but, a helpful one would be a "Butane Soldering Iron"

Should I add this to my collection?

It seems to be a good one if you were working off a ladder or just needed something small that would allow a quick joint repair.

Small enough to fit into the toolbox, saving room for other needed tools?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I never found much use for Matlab. When I was in college, it was only a matrix manipulation app. Since I could ill afford to pay for software, I used free programs or wrote my own. I hacked all the statistical applications I needed on a TRS-80 using BASIC. Even now if I need something quick, I can hack it out on C running under Linux or find a lightweight free program on the web.

Acutally, I'm amazed how much software is written and just given away these days.