indispensable tools :D

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
hi everyone, as the title suggests, would you be kind enough to list anything you consider indispensable (incl hardware, software, handtools,...). i think it would be interesting list if more people chip in. for example my list goes something like this:

software (things i install immediately on any PC)
- Notepad++
- IrfanView
- Everything
- TrueCrypt
- CutePDF
etc.

tools
- phoenix contact screwdriver set (i hate cheap tools that twist, bend and chip)
- Swiss army knife
etc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A credit card, cut into strips, to hold things in place while I put brushes in an alternator or remove a certain gear from a motor shaft.

A tool steel pick, straight on one end and with a small hook on the other end. It removes jumpers from HDD's, Freon regulators from Fords, and other broken off plastic parts from inside the tube they broke off in.

A "security bit" set so I can get in to all the machines that have queer fasteners.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've never used Octave. I don't hate it (since I don't know it). Do you guys think it's better and/or faster than Matlab?

I don't think there's something out there that Matlab can't do.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
MATLAB is pretty versatile, but you pay for that versatility in a literal sense. Octave doesn't have the GUI functionality that MATLAB had and it's treated as more of a shell scripting editor that MATLAB. I'd say the only real drawback of Octave is no Simulink equivalent, though progress is being made on that front.

I recently started to use Octave more, so I'm not entirely versed in it, but I haven't found much that it can't do, relative to MATLAB...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Among more insignificant things that come to mind, my CLC hand-carry tool bag contains:
fluke 189
fluke 376
Wiha Insulated screwdriver (currently MIA)
Phoenix Contact QUICK WIREFOX 6 SC
Thomas & Betts WT111M Wire Stripper Tool
standard, metric, & torx folding hex key sets
10", 8", & 6" crescent wrenches

And in the pocket of my embroidered red kap shirt pocket I carry:
Android smartphone (camera, calculator, PDF viewer, web)
Stanley 1/8" x 3" FatMax® Standard Pocket Screwdriver (My most used tool - I actually order these in multiple, because I misplace at least one per month)

I drive a 20 y/o Chevy pickup and I wear jeans from costco. The truck holds the other 850lbs of tools and parts that I almost never use.

I've just given you all the winning combination; my recipe for success

Edit... Oh, and my dewalt 20v max 3.0AH drill and harbor freight metric socket set get used pretty often too.

Last edited:

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Just to add a few to the software front. I know everyone likes freeware so... Another FTP program that is practically the same at CuteFTP is Firezilla. I also like to use the Windows XP Image Resizer powertoy. It is available for Windows 7 too. One tool I miss in XP is the "snipping tool" that comes with Windows 7. Anyone know of any free alternatives? I also find that Paint.Net is great as an image editor. I have a fully licensed Adobe CS6 Web Suite from Software4Students and although I use Photoshop... I'm 100% certain I barley scratch the surface of it's capabilities!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What, no B.A.H. (Bigg Ass Hammer)? ;)
Sure, I have couple of those, but they don't get used enough and are too heavy to tote around in hand carry tool bag. I leave them in the truck, along with the big ass wrenches, big ass power tools, and big ass tool chest. When I have a heavy mechanical job, all that crap goes onto the big ass cart and pushed to location.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sure, I have couple of those, I leave them in the truck, .
I usta do that, but the truck got too small. Now I keep everything in the insulated, waterproof, aluminum shed which has electricity and air conditioning. Each day I load the truck for the job I'm doing. Carpentry, plumbing, air conditioning, electrician work...different load every day. I'm not recommending this for you. You have a specialty. I do everything from fix doorbells to install air ducts.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Now I keep everything in the insulated, waterproof, aluminum shed which has electricity and air conditioning.
That sounds like an amazing shed! My shed is wooden, it has electricity and it has carpet tiles. I've attempted to insulate it slightly by adding thick expanded polystyrene sheet to the inside of the roof, but apart from that not really. I want to insulate all of the walls the same way and use tongue and groove on the inside walls, paint it etc... but my Dad wouldn't let me :( He said something to the effect of "for goodness sake, it's a shed Ed" :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's basically impossible to work in a raw metal shed in Florida in the summer, so, air conditioning, especially when you get a discarded one for free while installing central air conditioning.

I used polyurethane foam panels that I got from a salvage yard. Ragged edges, so I trimmed them square and viola: insulation. Terribly not to building code, but, for goodness sake, it's a shed.

The trick part was hiding an illegal 60 amp/240V sub-feed. Fortunately, Florida is made of sand, so I could dig a 50 foot trench in about 45 minutes. (It's only illegal because I did not pay for a permit. It's actually "to code". I'm just too cheap to pay somebody that knows less than I, to inspect my work.)

Last edited:
That sounds like an amazing shed! My shed is wooden, it has electricity and it has carpet tiles. I've attempted to insulate it slightly by adding thick expanded polystyrene sheet to the inside of the roof, but apart from that not really. I want to insulate all of the walls the same way and use tongue and groove on the inside walls, paint it etc... but my Dad wouldn't let me :( He said something to the effect of "for goodness sake, it's a shed Ed" :(
Hey Ed! How are you?

We use a special insulating and waterproof...as well as this material is capable of keeping anything electron dry as it will not absorb moisture as well as it is designed to allow moisture out without letting it in.

I believe it is calleed Sertana.

I use it inside all my Anvil Cases as if you get moisture inside such a case and lock it without this stuff...the moisture will just stay inside and screw up the electronics.

It is fairy expensive. I will try to find out how you can buy it as I was not the one who set up the purchase and install of this stuff a while back.

Split Infinity