Increasing/Decreasing the frequency in an AC circuit

LaserPhile

Joined Apr 24, 2015
I have a pretty simple question. I need to know how to go about modifying the frequency of an AC circuit. What components would I generally use to go about accomplishing this. I am pretty new to electronics, so bear with me. Any input I could get on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Does your circuit generate this mystery frequency or respond to an input signal having the frequency?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you don't have the schematic then you should draw a block diagram to show what you want, and provide some more infos as V/I/F, etc ...

LaserPhile

Joined Apr 24, 2015
What do you mean by the phrase "frequency of an AC circuit"?
Maybe my question doesn't make much sense. What I mean is I would like to take the 60 Hz coming out of the wall and change it to an arbitrary frequency. For example, I would like to know what circuit elements I could use to change it from 60 Hz to 30kHz or really any arbitrary frequency.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Maybe my question doesn't make much sense. What I mean is I would like to take the 60 Hz coming out of the wall and change it to an arbitrary frequency. For example, I would like to know what circuit elements I could use to change it from 60 Hz to 30kHz or really any arbitrary frequency.
No, you cannot Change it to an arbitrary frequency. You can distort the waveform from a Sine to a Square or Triangular and pick up the Harmonics - 120 Hz, 180 Hz, .... with the content of the Harmonics decreasing rapidly and making this too impractical beyond, say, 10th harmonic.

You can generate an arbitrary frequency using an oscillator, and one way of powering that oscillator can be from the " ... 60 Hz coming out of the wall..."

LaserPhile

Joined Apr 24, 2015
Ah! I think I figured it out. What I'm looking for would be a function/waveform generator. I would just need the "60 Hz coming out of the wall" to power the circuit, but the frequency generated by the function generator would not depend on that, nor would the 60 Hz be "changed" per se. Thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ah! I think I figured it out. What I'm looking for would be a function/waveform generator. I would just need the "60 Hz coming out of the wall" to power the circuit, but the frequency generated by the function generator would not depend on that, nor would the 60 Hz be "changed" per se. Thank you.
Which was described in post#4