Impedance matching with L and C

Nailer

Joined May 11, 2021
Hi guys, I need maximum power transfer between 7 and 8MHz. I am quite new to impedance matching and I need help calculating components (L and C) and in which configuration I should put them into the circuit to get to 50 ohms. There is a pretty nice link for that but some skipped steps make me confused.

So basically I need help with how should I choose the configuration of L and C and how to calculate those values. I would probably order variable capacitors and inductors to fine-tune it also with VNA. All of the data is in the picture of measurement.

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Nailer

Joined May 11, 2021
Thank for the literature it will come in handy for understanding, I also found that the easiest way is using SimSmith and the tutorial can be found here. link

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi guys, I need maximum power transfer between 7 and 8MHz. I am quite new to impedance matching and I need help calculating components (L and C) and in which configuration I should put them into the circuit to get to 50 ohms. There is a pretty nice link for that but some skipped steps make me confused.

So basically I need help with how should I choose the configuration of L and C and how to calculate those values. I would probably order variable capacitors and inductors to fine-tune it also with VNA. All of the data is in the picture of measurement.

Thanks.

View attachment 237988
This may help-

Inductance Calculations
Author: Frederick W. Grover
ISBN-10: 048647440-2

Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computers and Communications; 9th Ed,
Author: Mac E. Van Valkenburg
ISBN-13: 978-0750672917
ISBN-10: 0750672919

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
what bit of kit did the Smith chart? The numbers given for the markers I believe gives you all you need to work out the parallel inductance or capacitance, centred on 7.5MHz. A quick calculation with the impedance version of the Smith chart shows it can be matched with a 12.93m x 50ohm transmission line (@7.5MHz) and a 97p series capacitor, but 13m isn't very practical so you need to work with the admittance version of the Smith chart to find the parallel LRC needed.

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Some other useful resources:
Maxim tutorial 742
RF Circuit Design - [Ch2-1] Resonator and Impedance Matching

This is a brilliant web site....an online Smith chart - I've not seen this one before but its high on my best-ever online tools now!

Here's two plots using a transmission line and series capacitor at 7 and 8MHz
1620828041374.png1620828095539.png

Playing around I got this pair of plots... which is the closest I could get after 10min of playing to get (looking into the system from the RH side) R close to 50ohm and the reactance roughly equal each side of 0.- YMMV! But because your end device has such low series R the losses are high... Or is this the source? Its not clear. If so this is all rubbish, but the technique is still valid...

Edit: found a better solution thats even smaller reactance...
smith1.JPGsmith2.JPG

Last edited:

Nailer

Joined May 11, 2021
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the material you posted.
Oh, yea that site seems really practical. But I found a java program called SimSmith that does almost the same thing and is nicer to use, at least to me.
It seems that my answer lies in the L-Matching network which can easily be made with SimSmith or the online tool you provided.
And I had done matching the circuit with SimSmith like this (parallel C followed by series L, with shown values):
SimSmith L-Matching network for preliminary full setup with 100nF RF carpet and DC connected.JPG

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the material you posted.
Oh, yea that site seems really practical. But I found a java program called SimSmith that does almost the same thing and is nicer to use, at least to me.
It seems that my answer lies in the L-Matching network which can easily be made with SimSmith or the online tool you provided.
That looks good! Remember t run the matching at both ends. I started by finding the best match for the centre point of your two data points, ie 2.25 - j26.2 @ 7.5MHz then tweaking it to balance +/- reactance at 7 and 8MHz and the relevant data point.