identify the wires on a video doorbell

Ancientwhiz

Joined Dec 18, 2013
I am having trouble with the remote unlock system on a recently installed video doorbell. I am wondering if there is a commonly used system for the wires between the monitor and the camera.The cable has six coloured wires--red, yellow, blue, black, white and green. I think yellow is the video and black the common.Other functions are bell, communications, door unlock. If I knew which wires were for each function it would help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I doubt you can reliably assign the functions based on color. Red and black are probably power related, but even that's a guess and I wouldn't count on it.

If the installation is recent, there's a good chance you can find the manual online. Getting searching and if you're lucky, you'll find a schematic or wiring diagram.

Ancientwhiz

Joined Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for your help. The doorbell is of chinese extraction so decent manuals are hard to find. A wiring diagram came with the doorbell but it doesn't have the information I need, I will troubleshoot the circuit and try and work it out

Ancientwhiz

Joined Dec 18, 2013
I set up the doorbell system on the bench and found out that when the remote unlock button was pressed 12 volts was indicated very briefly on the meter which then dropped back to the 4.5 volts which had been showing across the lock. Any thoughts to explain this behaviour which is repeated every time the unlock button is pressed ? When the call button is pressed at the gate and the talk button is pressed on the monitor the unlock buton is energised until the talk button is pressed again to de-energise the system and closes down the unlock facility I think the unlock button should put 12 v on the lock circuit as long as it is held down and should work repeatedly until the talk button is pressed to end the session. A look at the monitor circuit would be a big help!