I want to start-up my car battery on cold days...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Jon Camilleri, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Jon Camilleri

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    I would like to know what circuitry or mechanics I have to install with my car to have it run on hybrid sources of energy e.g.
    a) automatically switch the circuit starter to charge my battery with dynamo when the battery goes out of charge that is I want an electronic that automatically recharges my battery giving it enough capacity to start-up when the battery goes flat
    b) do it yourself or do it easy kits for changing my diesel-fuelled car to a car that runs using different sources of energy e.g. electric car and diesel so I can charge it and fill 'er up.

The towing service is a form of over-charging they ask for 15 EUR every time they come to start-up my car with electric diodes this covers the cost of the electricity about twelve times over, and, I am not very interested in the well-being of their driver since I am kind of broke at the moment.

Feedback?
    Any electronics that match these requirements?

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transport/electric-cars
    https://www.facebook.com/Cars-Club-274208596086407/ [Cars Club]

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I doubt anyone is charging you for the electricity. They are charging you for their time, for their equipment and the extra personnel that must sit back at the shop when the employee is helping you.

You are lucky they are only charging 15 euros for the service. The same will cost $75 to $250 in the US.

How about a new battery, clean battery terminals, lower viscosity oil and a check of your charging system instead of a jump start device.

Sinus23, sahil kk, strantor and 3 others like this.
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If you have a car with a standard internal combustion engine and you want a hybrid, you will have to completely reengineer the vehicle at a cost of several tens of thousands of dollars or euros -- take your pick. On the other hand you could just buy a hybrid vehicle at a cost of several tens of thousands of dollars or euros -- take your pick. Since, as you say, you are kinda broke -- it really doesn't matter much which way you go.

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Something else to factor in is that your car insurance will either be invalidated or will cost the earth if you make the modifications you describe.
    How many times has your battery actually discharged to the point where it won't start the car? If even only once, you should consider replacing the battery and getting the alternator checked. Much cheaper than creating a hybrid :) .

shortbus likes this.
  5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Failure to start on a cold morning is a sign of a failing battery, or a problem with your car’s charging system. The shops that sell batteries can do quick tests to determine the problem. Where I live they’ll do these tests for free, because they hope you’ll buy a battery from them but you don’t have to.

Save your energies for projects you can succeed at. An engineering project to modify your car is not that.

Sinus23 and spinnaker like this.
  6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    We have snow right now. Would you fly out to the US and shovel my walk and my driveway? I figure shoveling my walk and driveway will consume about 1,000 calories. So I will pay you that in food. Maybe $5 US. Is that fair? Of course the cost of traveling out here is going to be at your expense as well as the time you spend doing it is on you. Yes $5 US to shovel my walk is fair. When can I expect you? :confused:

GopherT likes this.
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What's the temperature today where you are?
    What's the coldest temperature it ever reaches?

Right now it is -15°C. We're expecting it do drop to -25°C overnight. We've had it go to -40°C on the rare occasion.
    If your car cannot start then you need a new battery.

8. BobaMosfet

Jul 1, 2009
    If your battery has to keep being charged, then either the battery is bad, or your alternator is not charging the battery when you run the vehicle. Or both. In order for your alternator to adequately charge your battery, assuming the battery is good, you must run the engine long enough to charge the battery.

You'd spend your money and time better by a) replacing your battery and making sure the alternator is charging it, and b) getting yourself a charge-meter on your dash to show you what your voltage level is so you know when your alternator is charging, and when your battery is charged.

Now, on the off-chance you don't want to do that, and your battery is damaged a bit every time it gets run down (chemicals slough off the plates and slowly short out cells if this is a lead-acid battery, which it sounds like)-- again, if you don't want to do the above, then get yourself a battery charger/starter that can run off your house current. You can then charge your battery yourself, and/or start your vehicle so it can charge the battery.

GopherT likes this.
  9. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    After doing all that - there are lithium battery jump start packs, but I have my doubts.

10. be80be

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 5, 2008
    They will jump a car

nsaspook likes this.
  11. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    1. Make sure the battery and alternator are in good working condition.
    2. Include jumper cables with the tools you keep in your car.
    3. Also include a "jump starter". The only time I tried a newer Lithium version it didn't work (wouldn't start a vehicle with a dead battery, might be okay with weak ones), but have had good luck with the SLA variants for decades.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    To be clear, the “then” you were referring to was probably not the -40 event. Even a fresh battery would be challenged at -40. I wouldn’t judge a battery at even -20F, but a car should start at any temp warmer than that. If it won’t start at 0F, it’s nearly spent.

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    A fresh battery will start a car easily at -40°F if you have the proper oil. 0W20 (standard summer oil on Hondas currently).

14. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    You make no mention of starting the engine, just of starting the "dynamo" (alternator) to charge the battery. I assume you just forgot to mention the engine, as we should all know that the alternator running off the battery cannot charge the battery.

You need a new battery, and maybe a new alternator too. You might have some parasitic/vampire load in your car. Check the current draw when off. A float charger might be a good bandaid to use in the mean time while you're reengineering the car instead of fixing it.

15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I remember staying in ski country and they were predicting -40°C overnight. I purposely parked my car, a VW Rabbit, to face the morning sun to the south. Back in those days the standard oil to put into the engine was 10W40.

Next day, yes it was -40.
    At -40 it doesn't matter if it is °C or °F.

I knew I wouldn't be able to start the car. I didn't even try. Why bother to kill the battery?

I waited until the mid-afternoon when the temperature was warmer.
    Yes, the engine started after a couple of whirr-whirr-whirr, you get what I mean.

BR-549 likes this.
  16. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    They must have new types of oil now. I've never seen any ICE engine start at -40 degrees F..........without auxiliary heating.

I have had the pleasure more than once.

wayneh likes this.
  17. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    most everything coming out now uses 0-20W.

18. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    That's quite something. I sure would like to see and listen to a video of a cold start at 40 below.

19. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    If you live in a very cold area (You do not say which part of the world you are in.) why not fit an engine block heater like they use in canada. Try Googling "Canada engine block heater" This is one link it brought up.

Les.

20. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I live in North Dakota and we get close to that cold here at times (-33.5 F yesterday morning) and I can say for sure very few vehicles even brand new ones with 0 - 20 oil start at -40 F if they have not been plugged in for a hour or more.

-30F without being plugged or having substantial battery boosting help in is pushing the limits and even if they do start it's extremely hard on the engines anyway. I got my 99 Ford F250 to go at -25F with the help of one of my high output battery chargers but still it was the limit of things to do it.

I and my friends have played the -whos what can start the coldest- game all my life and I tend to make a point of winning by having larger than stock batteries and cables on everything but still, once things go below -20F its time to be plugging things in if you want a guaranteed start when you need it.

Sinus23 and wayneh like this.