I Hate My Logic Design Class...

gravytrain21

Joined Sep 17, 2014
... and I hope I came to the right place to ask questions! My professor goes really fast during lecture so I always end up going to the tutor (every day) to actually learn the material that was covered. We're only about a month in and started doing K Maps today which of course I had no idea what she was talking about, so back to the tutor tomorrow. Anyways, I guess this is more of an introduction for me because I'm new here and I hope someone here will be able to ease my inevitable frustration in this class!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi gravytrain21,

Sorry to hear about your frustration, it is unfortunate that the pace of the class is too quick for you (indeed, that seems fast for anyone!).

I would recommend you go to your professor's office hours - it's what they're there for. The professor has no other way to gauge how well the students are learning the material without various tests (which affect your grade - not an ideal option). By showing up to his/her office hours, you show your professor that you are making an honest effort and that the class is still moving too quickly to understand. If enough people go, your professor can get an accurate picture of how lost everyone is and can approach the class with that in mind.

(This thread is more off topic than it is Homework Help. When you have a question, simply start a new thread.)

That said, welcome to the forums!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
Hello and welcome to all-about-circuits!

The frustrations of lessons paced way too fast is understandable. Many students get very uncomfortable at that overwhelming amount of knowledge - especially if they have to take this subject at the first year in the college.

I remembered before the semester started, I bought some books on Digital Electronics second-hand and read a few topics and experimented on some of the "application topics", using actual logic chips at home.

Do you have a textbook on Digital Electronics? If I'm not mistaken - mine's very clear on the K-maps - plenty of examples and even exercises for me to practise on.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the manufacturers books (TI, SIGNETICS, AND SUCH) used to have great sections in them with suguested ciecuits, and lots of logic diagrams. I dont know if they are still around.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ask questions. Show simple examples and solve them here, or ask members for sample problems and solve them side by side. You will find there are a lot of kind people willing to help here.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You'll get lots of chances to use k-maps. They may not make sense now, but later they might. If you ask questions on the forum but get a lot of guff from our members, I will offer to answer questions for you in my PM. This is a one-time exception.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would recommend you search the forum for Karnaugh Maps after you read the thread MrChips recommended. You will find a lot of examples problems and the solutions. If you have questions after reading MrChips' recommendation, start a thread in the homework section.

Show the problem and whatever work you've done. That way the responding member(s) can point out any errors and get you on the right track for success. That's the name of the game, setting you up for success. Like all games, you are an active participant.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Engineering School is a full time job, a hobby and a relationship all rolled into one. Make a commitment, dig in and start shoveling until it is done. Some weeks you will have time to go for a beer on Saturday night and some weeks you will have to keep shoveling. Keep it up until you graduate.

The sweetest part is the first week on a real job - it only takes 40 to 50 hours per week! The free time feels amazing. Some people feel uneasy about all the free time so they start dating, get into relationships, get married, have children. By that time, it feels like you are back in engineering school so you keep shoveling until your kids leave the house. Again, a feeling of euphoria from all of the free time.

That euphoria soon ends when your siblings realize that you now have enough time to take care of your ailing parents. If I continue, I will be deemed an uncaring SOB but I am sure you get the picture. My advise, keep shoveling, you will eventually have an easier time at a pace you control. Ironically, that time comes when nobody needs your help and you wish they did.

Welcome to life.

gravytrain21

Joined Sep 17, 2014
Wow thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely checking back in soon with some real questions. I'll have to read that thread on my break tomorrow.

JoyAm

Joined Aug 21, 2014
@GopherT Your post really touched my heart sir, thanks for filling me with hope that one day i will indeed have true free time and not just steal it from studying time wich will result in a bad exam period

@ OP wellcome !

I believe that this pace is excused only if you are studying to become an engineer. What i can suggest you is to get the book of M.Morris Mano and Michael D.Ciletti, its one of the best books i ever had the chance to study
Good luck :)

Ha. I totally know who you have. D.W. I find her grating as well. Yes she goes insanely fast... too fast. Wait til you get to Embedded I with her... only way to make it is work work work work work. Endlessly. Daily as well. Most of the upper classmen I've talked to about her teaching have all said the same thing. I quote one peer, "you will need to put in MINUMUM every week 12-15 hrs for her class." Logic was hard. Even when I had Campbell it was not easy by any stretch. At least you'll be exposed to Verilog with her though. Campbell showed us none. Consequently, I'm pretty much dead in the water in the lab this semester since she writes all the labs/runs the lectures. Without a partner helping me both in the lab and outside the lab, there would be no way I'd pass the lab. Programming is a struggle for me big time. I'm still honestly on the fence about whether or not EE is really something I can/should do. Her job is to help you determine that (via weed-out). After exam 1, about 1/4 of my Embedded class dropped. According to said partner, about 1/3 of the Logic class I was in just this spring was re-taking it because of the insanity they experienced with D.W. including him. However, on the bright side, a majority of the other EE classes here aren't quite as daunting as she can make them.