I get an overly emphasized, "good for you" from the nurse...

Were you taking a daily prescription medication by 50 (even if within 5 years of 50)?

• I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I needed it)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (but the doctor said I should be taking something).

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I could take it if I wanted, or I asked the doctor for something)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (I don't take anything on a daily/weekly basis)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I am not over 50

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As the title says, each time I visit the doc recently (three times in two years), the nurse does a history and then asks if I take any medications. Each time, I say, nothing, then she fishes for some examples of medication that someone my age might be taking. Then I say, "no". Then she smiles and gives me an overly emphasized, "good for you!"

I have concluded that either of the following caused the response:
- I am healthier than most 50-something people, or,
- I look sick enough to be on medication.

Now, to see if it is/is not the first, I ask the question above. I post here because there are a Bunche of geezers with enough resources to afford medications (or Canadians) to get a reasonable response.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have concluded that either of the following caused the response:
- I am healthier than most 50-something people, or,
- I look sick enough to be on medication.
Here's another option: Cash flow depends on repeat business. Over prescribing is so prevalent that the, "nurse" thinks you are simply, "in denial" about the, "universal" need for chronic medication and expects today's test results will, "correct" your mistake.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Here's another option: Cash flow depends on repeat business. Over prescribing is so prevalent that the, "nurse" thinks you are simply in denial about the, "universal" need for chronic medication and expects today's test results will, "correct" your mistake.
The latest news is that statins accelerate the aging process. This is why I run -- keeps me young and solves these kinds of problems without meds.

<----- Just look at how good I look!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Here's another option: Cash flow depends on repeat business. Over prescribing is so prevalent that the, "nurse" thinks you are simply, "in denial" about the, "universal" need for chronic medication and expects today's test results will, "correct" your mistake.
Cash flow is a strong possibility. It happens at the dentist too. I've had one cavity in my life. Last summer, my Dentist tells me that I 'get' to have preventative X-rays every other visit. So he asks me to step over to the X-ray chair. I said, no. He is stunned. He goes into a long explanation of why it is so important to have my X-rays annually and rotting teeth is a terrible thing. And catching decay before it is felt by the nerves, yadda, yadda, yadda. I asked him what the likelihood of a cavity was if I only had one in my life (30 years ago). "He said pretty low, but still greater than zero." I told him that "pretty low but still greater than zero" was the same odds that the X-ray machine will give me cancer - no X-rays. Then he blew his cover, he said, "are you sure, it is completely covered by your insurance." Still no.

When I was done with the cleaning, the hygienist told me the dentist put a prescription card for a fluoride supplement with my free toothbrush. Good god.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
On Monday I am going to change doctors because the last random stranger my insurance company assigned me to demanded an 8 lead EKG, spirometry tests, and two vials of blood to determine that an irritation on my butt was heat rash.

I was sent to, "Pain Management" 7 months after my back injury and she ordered over $1000 worth of Urinalysis in preparation for giving me cortisone injections. Internet investigation shows that cortisone only affects the outcome of spinal cord injuries when administered with 8 hours of the injury, so I refused to let her earn over $1000 per injection from my insurance company. http://www.thennt.com/

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
On Monday I am going to change doctors because the last random stranger my insurance company assigned me to demanded an 8 lead EKG, spirometry tests, and two vials of blood to determine that an irritation on my butt was heat rash.

I was sent to, "Pain Management" 7 months after my back injury and she ordered over $1000 worth of Urinalysis in preparation for giving me cortisone injections. Internet investigation shows that cortisone only affects the outcome of spinal cord injuries when administered with 8 hours of the injury, so I refused to let her earn over $1000 per injection from my insurance company. http://www.thennt.com/
When she calls you for AC repair, let her know that she needs the freon changed and the heat exchanger rotated and...

People with no ethics, should not be treated ethically. Didn't Christ say say something like that?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When she calls you for AC repair, let her know that she needs the freon changed and the heat exchanger rotated and...
Been there, done that. An Emergency Room charged me $50 for a, "sterile field" which is nothing more than a piece of paper on the instrument tray (which should be sterile in the first place)! After that, I charged all physicians for a, "Thermal Coupler" which is nothing more than a piece of tape to hold my thermometer against the copper pipe.:D

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
As the title says, each time I visit the doc recently (three times in two years), the nurse does a history and then asks if I take any medications. Each time, I say, nothing, then she fishes for some examples of medication that someone my age might be taking. Then I say, "no". Then she smiles and gives me an overly emphasized, "good for you!"

Please vote only if you are over 50.
But the bottom option says "I am not over 50". Is free speech being limited?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
A well known technique for repairs could be applied if more nurses are available for the same function : swap them in sequence in similar situations and record their comments.

Come back with results.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The latest news is that statins accelerate the aging process. This is why I run -- keeps me young and solves these kinds of problems without meds.

<----- Just look at how good I look!
"The effect of the drugs on the population is called the 'absolute risk,' which has shown that statins benefit only about 1% of the population. This means that only one out of 100 people treated with a statin will have one less heart attack. Statin researchers, however, don't present the 1% effect to the public. Instead they transform the 1% effect using another statistic, called the "relative risk," which creates the appearance that statins benefit 30-50% of the population."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150220110850.htm

http://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-for-heart-disease-prevention-without-prior-heart-disease/

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But the bottom option says "I am not over 50". Is free speech being limited?
The options were re-worded because I figured most people would not read the instructions before answering. Then I realized that "most people" do not use this site. Apparently, only people who carefully read instructions use this site. ;)

Instructions have been updated - everyone can now vote without mixed messages.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
nstructions have been updated - everyone can now vote without mixed messages.
But I am under 50 and I have a medication I have to take regardless of whether I like the idea or not.

Where's my voting slot? o_O