I get an overly emphasized, "good for you" from the nurse...

Were you taking a daily prescription medication by 50 (even if within 5 years of 50)?

• I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I needed it)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (but the doctor said I should be taking something).

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I could take it if I wanted, or I asked the doctor for something)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (I don't take anything on a daily/weekly basis)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I am not over 50

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Maybe I shouldn't have LOL'd, but I click you a, "Like" for making me laugh.:D

(Maybe I should be on medication.:rolleyes: I am feeling just too silly today!)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have this nagging impression that this thread minimizes those for whom daily meds are a part of life and for whom it is a certainty that without them their life would be less ( or gone )... There is a part of the population for whom this is true. Sorry guys, I have no statistics to support this.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have this nagging impression that this thread minimizes those for whom daily meds are a part of life and for whom it is a certainty that without them their life would be less ( or gone )... There is a part of the population for whom this is true. Sorry guys, I have no statistics to support this.
Didn't mean to minimize things. Just trying to understand the weird responses from nurses. Do I look sick, or is it rare for a middle-aged man to not take medication.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Waaaa. !
You can't say shit these days that doesn't minimize/marginalize/discriminate/stereotype half a Continent worth of over sympathetic over sensitive nancies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have this nagging impression that this thread minimizes those for whom daily meds are a part of life and for whom it is a certainty that without them their life would be less ( or gone ).
I don't.
I think we're talking about the spiraling cost of health care caused by the belief that most people should be taking daily drugs and undergoing unnecessary, often invasive, diagnostic procedures just for the benefit of the drug companies and the Cash Flow Physicians Club. You are free to start a Thread about those who benefit from, or desperately need, daily medication. I promise not to complain about you minimizing me (or other people who are lucky enough to be healthy at whatever age they are).

If I were Politically Correct enough, I might apologize for having a conversation that doesn't include people under 50, or you, or everybody on the planet, but I'm not. If I had come at this from @strantor point of view, I wouldn't have been as kind about it, but I'm having a silly attack today, and so tried to be considerate of your emotions.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think it does that.

We have a number of factors that all tend to increase the amount of medication people take. Some of those are good things and some of them aren't. Having a discussion that focuses on one factor does not mean that it is minimizing the other factors.

Off the top of my head: (1) We have drug companies that want to sell lots of drugs; (2) We have a culture that increasingly looks to cure any ill by downing a pill; (3) We have more and more medications available for more and more conditions; (4) We have people surviving and living with conditions that were fatal not that long ago; (5) We have an insurance/public assistance system that all-but-completely divorces the person receiving treatment from the person paying for the treatment.

How many times have we seen a TV commercial for some medication that never mentions what condition the drug treats, but simply tells everyone to ask their doctor if this drug is right for them. I've asked a couple of doctors and, sure enough, these ads are effective and they get numerous people coming in asking if they should be on such-and-such without even asking what such-and-such is for. I've noticed that originally these ads never mentioned insurance, but now almost all of them specifically point out that insurance will probably cover it.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
I guess I have been pretty lucky. Hardly ever been to the docs in my life till now in the better half. Still avoid going to see a quack(that's what I call em) cos they will only find something wrong with you.
Ignorance is bliss!. Means you drop off the perch without knowing what to worry about.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's very rare I go to see a doctor, usually only in emergency situations. No biggies, just stitching up gashes and taking x-rays to look for breaks. If you could still purchase antibiotics without a prescription like we could when I was a kid, I'd probably go even less often. What a racket - make you pay $100 to get a prescription for something you already know you need. I've thought long and hard about using the animal antibiotics you can get at the Farm&Fleet.

It's been my experience that the time and expense of going to the doctor is just barely worth it. "Your sick, there's nothing we can do, pay on your way out."

And even if you need significant intervention, you'd better be prepared to be a part of it, to oversee your own care.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The latest news is that statins accelerate the aging process. This is why I run -- keeps me young and solves these kinds of problems without meds.

<----- Just look at how good I look!
Statins also cause peripheral neuropathy in some people. When I told my cardiologist about this five years ago, he gave me that "I know you think you know what you are talking about" look until I showed him a copy of the research results. Now, it's common knowledge...but my feet still hurt 24 hours a day and I am losing feeling in two digits on my right hand.

Thanks, big pharma!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Statins also cause peripheral neuropathy in some people. When I told my cardiologist about this five years ago, he gave me that "I know you think you know what you are talking about" look until I showed him a copy of the research results. Now, it's common knowledge...but my feet still hurt 24 hours a day and I am losing feeling in two digits on my right hand.

Thanks, big pharma!
People should definitely take that long list of side effects (including death) seriously. Also remember that the FDA approves new medications based on effectiveness vs placebo - they do not have to be better than the current medications. Once approved, pharma companies send very well rehearsed and good looking former biology majors or pre-med majors to all the doctors to drop off free samples and pay doctors to be "thought leaders" to talk to other doctors about the medication.

Maybe this makes it all clearer - sad state of affairs when comedians have a bigger budget to do investigative reporting than the network news.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
When she calls you for AC repair, let her know that she needs the freon changed and the heat exchanger rotated and...

People with no ethics, should not be treated ethically. Didn't Christ say say something like that?
Actually, he said you should turn the other cheek... and I'm sure he was referring to when your doctor needed to apply more than one shot per visit...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You know, subtle euphemisms are far more entertaining.
I know. The entertaining euphemisms were in previous posts. I get blunt when someone misses the finely honed first attempt

I did put some thought in the shit vs shat part of it though.

EdIT: And I've 'shared' two bottles of wine with my wife during dinner and two aperitifs of gin and tonic.

Last edited: