I get an overly emphasized, "good for you" from the nurse...

Were you taking a daily prescription medication by 50 (even if within 5 years of 50)?

• I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I needed it)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (but the doctor said I should be taking something).

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I am over 50 AND, Yes (doctor said I could take it if I wanted, or I asked the doctor for something)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am over 50 AND, No (I don't take anything on a daily/weekly basis)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I am not over 50

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
And yet here you are, talking euphemisms with geeks.
Yeah, 7:30 and because I opened the second bottle, she is now ready for bed. So much for the, 'if one is good, two must be better' strategy. Seems like a good idea every time but, one of the lessons I never seem to learn.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ok, people. Voting closes on Oct 31. Thanks to everyone who did vote and, if you did not, please get your vote in on this survey if you are willing to share your thoughts.

As of today, 7 of the 11 people over 50 (who voted) claim to be taking medication, or should be on medication. I don't want to skew the results but I also was hoping for more than 11 votes.

All you have to do is click the survey radio-button that best describes you. I do not see individual results of who voted for what. If you care to comment on...
- how much you rely on a medication and what it does for your lifestyle, or
- how you feel your doc is over prescribing, or
- how hard you try get through the day without, or
- how lucky you are to not need medication, or
- how hard you work doing x, y or z, as an alternative to medication

I am interested in all comments.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Gopher,

I usually refuse to take medication, basically of any kind. Even aspirines (the last was probably two years ago). In the last 3 years, in two totally separated oportunities and for unrelated reasons, I got properly applied sublingual (single pill) painkillers. The best ever.

On May I had surgery on both feet with 1 week difference and the painkiller is still intact. I even stopped taking the antibiotics well before the prescribed supply was exhausted.

My medicine chest is a vaste and outdated collection of medicine of various kinds where eventually one or two tablets or pills were consumed.

Simply I hate to see doctors prescribing anything so liberally and not even giving any much thought about what they are doing. I gained an angry reply from one of them when I started a sentence saying: "Me, as your customer..."

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
On Monday I am going to change doctors because the last random stranger my insurance company assigned me to demanded an 8 lead EKG, spirometry tests, and two vials of blood to determine that an irritation on my butt was heat rash.
Reminds me of my experience a couple of years ago. I was having some serious health issues primarily pertaining to my stomach. I was in and out of the hospital and the doctor's office for about four months and missed two or three weeks of work. They ran all sorts of tests, took blood samples about a dozen times within a month, even went so far as to give me an ultrasound and an endoscopy (upper body). After racking my bill up to over $5,000 (after insurance) they came back saying that I had "dyspepsia". Now, for those of you who don't know, this would be like going to the doctor with a migraine and they diagnose you with a headache. I paid (and actually am still paying) $5000+ for them to tell me I had indigestion.

I hate the US health care system.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can hope most of the tests on DS8 had some relationship to a G.I problem, but I can not hope that an EKG has anything to do with a rash on my butt.:D

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I am interested in all comments.
Well I am under 50 AND I do take a prescription pill every day Vs being under 50 and not taking anything so....

I don't mind it so much. I know why I have to take them and have gotten used to the concept that I am naturally a bit deficient in a certain neurochemical process and need a bit of a booster to keep me up in the normal range.

Without them I get chronic mild depression (not suicidal, just have near zero motivation to do anything) and some anxiety quirks that can really make life not fun for no real justifiable reasons. Especially with a wife that will pick at those weaknesses like a hungry raven on roadkill. :rolleyes:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
On May I had surgery on both feet with 1 week difference and the painkiller is still intact. I even stopped taking the antibiotics well before the prescribed supply was exhausted.
You should always take antibiotics for the full course. Not doing so is where anti-biotic resistance "superbugs" come from. You knock them back far enough that you feel better but you don't wipe them out. The ones that survive and spread from you are the ones that had a marginally higher resistance to the drugs. Multiply that by a few million people at any given time and it doesn't take long for nature to run its course.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You should always take antibiotics for the full course. Not doing so is where anti-biotic resistance "superbugs" come from. You knock them back far enough that you feel better but you don't wipe them out. The ones that survive and spread from you are the ones that had a marginally higher resistance to the drugs. Multiply that by a few million people at any given time and it doesn't take long for nature to run its course.
I have a Norwegian sister in law who is a nurse, and she tells me that's exactly why up there they will give you antibiotics only after the traditional methods (such as hot patches) have failed or if the infection itself is way too aggressive.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Have you ever consider that she might be sucking those neurochemicals out of your brain while you sleep?
Fortunately I had the issues well before I knew she ever existed. :p

At this point I rather just consider her as tolerance therapy. It's sort of like Poison Ivy exposure. Sure initially there are some pretty bad rashes but eventually you find your skin getting thicker until you for the most part become immune to the effects.

Thanks to my wife's abrasive personality my once peach like emotional skin is as tough as a tractor tire! :D