Hub motor controller

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Hello everyone I am building a robot and I am using hub motors to drive it.
I attached a picture of the control circuit. I was wondering if you can take a look at it and let me know if it works and if it is possible to have the motor run in reverse or should I create another circuit that has the poles flipped and connected to the motor.

Regards,
Patrick

Attachments

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Hello guys, I have been looking for H-bridges and either they are very expensive modules or can support up to 5A.
So I decided to make a simplified version.
What do you think of this circuit. I used IRFP4468 MOSFETs with a 220ohm resistor bank connected to the PIC microcontroller.
I used 4 MOSFETs for each motor and I "turn on" 2 at a time to drive it forward or reverse. Also for the second motor I flipped the motor connector.

What do you think?

Attachments

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
why do i need a whole circuit since the IRFP4468 can be run with a voltage of 2-4V? I am using a pic16 so the 3.3 volts should work
Am I wrong?

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
I need to be controlling the motors with a PWM so I can control the speed.
I tried using the MIC4451 to run the MOSFETs. Both MIC are connected to the PWM of the microcontroller and they will be on the whole time. However I will use npn junctions that are connected to the microntroller and they in turn will control which way the motor is turning.
Would that work?
Would connecting a transistor to the VDD of the MIC instead of the MOSFETs be a better idea?

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I will use npn junctions that are connected to the microntroller and they in turn will control which way the motor is turning.
Would that work?
Not with the motor connections shown. What are the diodes for? The lower ones seem the wrong way round.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your circuit can't switch the upper FETs on. If you want to drive the motor with 48V then it needs ~58V on the upper FET gates to turn them on. That calls for a high-side FET driver IC such as the IR2110 which Max pointed out in post #7. The MIC4451 used in your circuit is a low-side driver only.

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Your circuit can't switch the upper FETs on. If you want to drive the motor with 48V then it needs ~58V on the upper FET gates to turn them on. That calls for a high-side FET driver IC such as the IR2110 which Max pointed out in post #7. The MIC4451 used in your circuit is a low-side driver only.
But would I be able to drive the IR2110 with a PWM from the PIC16? Because I want to set the speed of the motor