How to work with SCC100A pressure sensor from Honeywell?

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Lately, I have bought a pressure sensor (SCC100A) that captures data of absolute pressure. The pressure sensor is a bridge type sensor which uses wheatstone bridge to provide the output voltage and every specifications are shown in its datasheet. The problem is when I supply an 1.5mA current to the sensor, the output does not appear to be the same or even close to output voltage values given from datasheet. Is there anyone who used this sensor or faced this problem before? Thank you.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here I have found an other datasheet, with some application notes from an other manufacturer.
You could try the application schematic from that.

Bertus

Attachments

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hi Bertus,

Thanks for the application notes, it gives me some idea to amplify the output. May I ask you another question? Did you use this kind of sensor before? From what I understand from the datasheet, the air pressure is exerted through the P1 face of the sensor to get the output value. But, the output I obtained are negative and it doesn't even change a little when I increase the air pressure. The output only shows -0.008V (-8mv) when there's no external pressure other than atmospheric pressure. What could it be the problem here? I also have the same problem with the previous pressure sensor MD-PS002, a bridge pressure sensor.

Darren

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The 1.5 mA given in the datasheet is the maximum allowed current.
How did you make the 1.5 mA applied to the sensor?
Do you have a schematic?

Bertus

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hello,

I will try to use the circuit from the application notes you gave me and test the sensor again. I will let you know if it's workable. Thanks a lot for your patience and help. =)

Darren

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I assume you connected the sensor in place of the load. (using the pins 1 and 3).
At 1 mA the sensor will have 5 Volts on it, as the senor is about 5K (given in the datasheet).
As you power it with only 5 Volts, the voltage can not be reached.

chong_scc100a_connections.png

Bertus

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hello,

As you power it with only 5 Volts, the voltage can not be reached.
Does it mean I have to power it with much higher voltage or get an external source that is greater than 5V? And I do not understand much about the "voltage cannot be reached".

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you measure the voltage across the load (sensor)?
I think you will not make the 1 mA through the sensor.

Bertus

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hello,

Yeap, you were correct. I measure and get 4.66V across the Vs and GND of the sensor which is lesser than 1mA. Now I'll try to increase the current supply and see if it works.

Darren

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hello,

I'm confused about the part that should I measure the 1.5mA before putting in the load or after? Because I tried with before putting in the load, I adjust the output from the transistor to be 1.41mA. Once I put the load series to it along with a multimeter, the current is 0 as if no current passes through. I measured the Vs and GND of the sensor, it does give me 6.39V but the output gives -16mV.

Darren

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the given application note there is a schematic that uses a current source of about 0.75 mA.
There is also a formula given for the output voltage:

chong_scc100_schematic.png

Bertus