How to wire a SPST dual coil relay

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Emma,
Pins 1 and 6 are the relay coil.
Pins 3 and 4 are the normally open switch contacts.
Is that what you are asking.?
E

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Eric,
I think you missed the fact that it was a dual coil relay.

Hi Emma,
Pins 3 & 4 are the contacts as Eric says.
Pin 1 is the common negative for both coils
Pin 5 is the positive of one coil.
Pin 6 is the the positive for the other coil.
This information comes from the data sheet in the link from the link to the RS webpage that you posted.
This information is on page 5 of this data sheet. I have not worked out which coil closes the contacts and which one opens them but that will be easy to test.

Les.

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Eric,
From the picture of the relay on the RS page that Emma linked to the part number is DK1a-L2-5V-F (Although RS gives the manufacturers part number as DK1AL25.) I did a search on "Panasonic DK1AL25" and that seems to link back to DK1a-L2-5V-F

Les.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Les,
Thanks Les,
I would suggest that Emma confirms which version she has by telling us the number of pins on the relay base, on the relay she has on the bench.

Eric

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Hi Eric/Les. The datasheet for the latching relays shows one coil white and the other black. Is there a convention which identifies the latch and unlatch coils?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Alec,
I suspect that there probably is but I don't know what it is. This is why I suggested doing the test in post #3.

Les.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
we are unsure on what each of the terminals means/does and how to wire it into our circuit.
The contact terminals switch the load current.
The coil terminals switch the contacts when it's rated coil voltage is applied.
If it's a two coil latching relay, then applying the coil voltage to one coil will move the contacts in one direction, where they will stay when the voltage is removed.
Applying the coil voltage to the other coil will move the contacts to the other direction, where they will also stay when the coil voltage is removed.
So the relay contacts will stay in either position, depending upon which was the last coil energized.