How to wire a Sears Craftsman AC Drill

alexj

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Hello everyone,
I've had this old drill from the 60's for awhile and now would like to wire it up directly to the wall. No trigger, no reverse and the drill is already only one speed. It has a small mechanical transmission built in for high and low gear with a mechanical lever on it and the original trigger was not pressure sensitive/speed variable. I do not want a trigger on the drill. Just trying to plug it straight into the wall and make it turn clockwise at one speed.
I am very new to wiring unlabeled motors and unfortunately do not have a multimeter to test anything. Both black wires you see in the pictures are the brushes. Unsure of what the white wires are. Assuming the winding? The drill does work. I used it before the wires fell out of the original trigger.

Any help or diagrams would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Hmmm,,, strange. If that thing only ever was meant to be on/off control, there would most likely have been only 2 wires to the trigger. I'm thinking it had variable speed, which stopped working due to the trigger mechanism. Did you keep track of which wire's were connected to what?

Do I correctly understand you to mean that you don't want any trigger or other switch on the tool, you'll simply plug it in, or unplug it? (Or perhaps plug it into an outlet that is controlled by a switch)

Max is good on this kind of stuff, but I'm thinking those were typically "universal" series connected motors. I won't give you any pointers on connections without input from someone that has messed with one of these often enough or frequently enough to be quite familiar with them.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
The label says that the drill is variable speed. You don't have any of the necessary tools for scopeing out your motor. I suggest that you don't do anything with your motor. Playing with electricity by the uninitiated can get you killed.

Or, you can just start connecting voltage to the various leads and see what happens. Try putting line voltage on one pair of the black/white wires and see what happens.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a Universal motor, the brushes are in series with the armature, it could have had reversing on it, if so the field wires are reversed.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello everyone,
I've had this old drill from the 60's for awhile and now would like to wire it up directly to the wall. No trigger, no reverse and the drill is already only one speed. It has a small mechanical transmission built in for high and low gear with a mechanical lever on it and the original trigger was not pressure sensitive/speed variable. I do not want a trigger on the drill. Just trying to plug it straight into the wall and make it turn clockwise at one speed.
I am very new to wiring unlabeled motors and unfortunately do not have a multimeter to test anything. Both black wires you see in the pictures are the brushes. Unsure of what the white wires are. Assuming the winding? The drill does work. I used it before the wires fell out of the original trigger.

Any help or diagrams would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Here you go

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-variable-speed-reversible-drill-60614.html

$20 is not worth being electrocuted and/or burning down your house.

alexj

Joined Nov 10, 2017
That is a Universal motor, the brushes are in series with the armature, it could have had reversing on it, if so the field wires are reversed.
Max.
So how would I go about connecting the wires in series? Would I just connect hot to one black wire and neutral to one white wire to make it go forward, and then connect to the other two to make it go in reverse? Like how a DPDT switch would work with only one set being connected at a time.

To answer everyone else's questions....
Once wired the motor will be controlled by a wall switch that controls the outlet it is plugged into, and I only really care to make the drill go in one direction as it will be mounted and used as a sander or maybe a grinder once working again.
Also I've attached some pictures of the original switch. Unfortunately the wires pulled out from inside the mold so you can't really tell what went where.
The label says variable speed because the drill has a mechanical transmission on it that can very the speed. The trigger did not control the speed in a pressure sensitive type way, I've had this thing for probably 30 years and the trigger was always only a on/off switch, however the trigger does have a reverse function on it.
Already own a nice drill. I don't need this to be a drill again. I need the motor to power other things like a sander, grinder, etc.....

Attachments

alexj

Joined Nov 10, 2017
This for reversal and ON/OFF.
Max.
So wiring this motor WITHOUT on/off or DPDT so it will turn on when plugged in and only go in one direction.....I should tie brushes together (both black wire) and wire to neutral and then depending on which wire I connect the Line to will determine the direction the motor turns on??

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is most certainly a Universal motor, if so the field winding and armature are in series, doesn't matter which way around it is connected, as long as in series.
Measure resistance of each to confirm.
Max.